Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman riding mower won't turn over

Posted by tbraquet TX (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 9:34

Hello all, this is my first post. I have a Craftsman riding mower about 12yrs old. we keep at the lake. It hasn't been used for about 2yrs. I tried to start it the other day and it would not turn over. I have changed the spark plug and air filter. The starter turns fine, but the engine will not turn over. I can turn the engine backwards with my hand but it will not turn forwards. When I try to start with the starter the engine will move about 3 to 5 degrees forward and that is all. But it will move a complete 360 degrees backwards. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tod

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman riding mower won't turn over

Might be helpful if you posted the model number of the engine. 12 year old Craftsman doesn't tell us much.

You need to do some more checking. Does the engine turn over OK with the spark plug or plugs out? Does it have a good battery? Are the battery connections good? Just for starters.

Walt Conner

o

I have a craftsman v-twin and the starter just
absorbs current and does not turn over the motor.
I let it sit for 5 years. The motor is free.
The starter is seized from moisture induced rust on the
windings spacing.
Not sure if yours comes off with the 2 bolts to the
crankcase or not.
Mine seems integral to the housing, and I had to remove
the two looong bolts that hold the lower plate on the
starter.
A LOT of PBLAST and some taps of the plastic gear
with a mallet and the starter freed up. But the problem
is in reinstalling the 4 brush plate and holding all
brushed in to get past the rotor.
You can fied test the starter on a bench with 12 volts.

o

***" But the problem is in reinstalling the 4 brush plate and holding all the brushes in to get past the rotor."***
That part (referred to as "rotor"), is the commutator (in case you do try taking the starter apart). There are a few threads throughout this forum that include some methods for "keeping the brushes caged" during assembly. If you are going to attempt a "teardown", I suggest you research the older forum threads for these tips and techniques.
***" You can field test the starter on a bench with 12 volts."***
Yes, but not "just any" 12V source. Ideally you need to use a 12 volt automotive battery, at least as "big" as what is in the tractor, and that battery must be fully charged. Trying to use a small, low output battery charger will likely produce negative results. Use a set of jumper cables to a "known to be good" 12V battery for bench (or "driveway") testing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here