Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wu343

Zero Turn Mower Decision

wu343
10 years ago

I'm about to purchase a new ZTR and I cannot decided which one. I have about 1/2 acre of grass and some hills. I will also use the mower at my hunting shack a few times per year (about 2 acres of thick grass/brush). I have narrowed it down to the Toro SS4230 and MX4260. The MX is about $1k more, but I cannot tell if its worth the upgrade over the SS model. Thoughts?

MX4260 Adds:
Fabricated deck
23hp Kawasaki (vs 22hp Kolar)
ZT-2200 Hydros
Better seat with arm rests
Some accessories (motor guard and vib mat)

Comments (7)

• larso1
    10 years ago

I looked for the SS4230 but found very little. I think it may have been replaced by the SS4235? The fabricated deck and heavier duty integral pump/motors on the MX4260 are a pretty big upgrade over the former and I would pay the extra if it were me. The Kawasaki is nice too (although I have "heard": that replacement parts can be pricey). Don't settle for an older model if there is more current one. The MX4260 got a lot of positive reviews by owners....

Here is a link that might be useful: MX4260 reviews

• wu343
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was talking about the SS4235 and not the SS4230. I made a mistake in the original post.

Because this is for residential use and I only plan to mow about 25-30 time in a summer (northern MN). The rider will only see about 20 hours of use per year. I'm not sure how important all the heavy duty features are going to be. I doubt they are worth an extra $1,000, but I could be wrong.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

would be more concerned about off season storage...?

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Still thinking about it? Any add ons or features make one more attractive? My old mower hauls a trailer decently. I would not have figured that would be so handy.

Either have a provision for dealing with snow? That could get you added use. Maybe you use a blower so that is not so important.

Just brainstorming

• nicemac
    10 years ago

I do not really believe a 1/2 acre lot with hills is a very good candidate for a zero turn.

A (very) small lawn tractor or walk behind might be a better option, especially if you only mow 20 hours per year.

• larso1
    10 years ago

I have a little more than 1/2 acre and I use a 48-in. JD Z425 (residential duty) for mowing it. The not too large ZTR actually shines on a smaller lot because of the constant turning and edge trimming required. I decided to use my old 38-in. riding lawn tractor the other day and got so tired of the constant back up, turn, back up, turn required; wore me out. I'll not go back to it again. I'm sure the newer tight turn tractor mowers with hydro trannys are a lot easier, but still...... If there are significant hills, that is another matter. In that case there are add-on aftermarket brakes that can be installed on the front casters

This post was edited by larso1 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 9:46

• nicemac
    10 years ago

My concern was with the hills. Tractors do a lot better on hills.

But if it is only a 20 hour per year job, there can't be a lot to deal withâ¦