Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ty bilt self propelled question

Posted by flh69 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 10:06

I replaced the drive belt for a friend of mine on his Troy Bilt model 466 self propelled mower. It has a two piece pulley that runs on the crank shaft that drives the front wheels.
When everything is tightened down, the pulley still has about 3/16" play between the two sections. This allows the pulley to actually spread apart which allows the belt to go into the pulley which what seems to me to be too far. I looked at his manual and there does not appear to be anything missing from the assembly.
We ran the mower around the yard & it appeared to pull ok. Is the play between the two sections of the pulley normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ty bilt self propelled question

Check it again! It appears that you have either left out a part, or got it together wrong! I haven't seen that model, but from experience. i'd say that is the problem. Check for a loose Allen screw that allows half the pulley to move. ( if that is how it is made)

o
RE: ty bilt self propelled question

Thanks for the reply. I agree it looks as though something is missing but I've checked the assembly with his manual that came with the mower and all parts are there and everything is in the correct order. There no allen screws that holds the pulley together. There is a bolt that goes up thru the center that holds the blade, spacer, etc. together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here