Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repair or buy new LT

Posted by bersh NE PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 10:22

My LT repair guy of 14 years (that was when I purchased a Craftsman 917.27114 new) says that my mower deck is bent, thus explaining why it was pushed up against the rear tire. He has not committed to repairing it. I found an o.e.m deck, new, for $187. While I am awaiting my guy's repair estimate, I would like to hear other opinions about repairing a 14 year old, excellent (great Kohler 16.5 engine)machine that does have a few issues-but is totally reliable and handles my 1-2 acre yard, and a yearly serious cutting of two one acre fields when the grass is two feet high-with bone jarring ease. What comparable machine might you all suggest I buy as a replacement-42 inch mower, 16.5 hp?x

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repair or buy new LT

I'm a professional mechanic, and as such I don't have to "farm out" any repair work to other parties.
So, if it was me looking at the same situation, I would personally jump at the new deck for $187.
But there are some caveats in anything where some old parts must be transferred to a new, bare, or stripped assembly.
In the case of a bare deck shell, blade mandrels and other operating components will have to be moved from the old deck, to the new deck. and that brings up the specter of bolts being rusted or seized in place and having to be cut out.
Or drilled out regarding the mandrels.
Now, if this new deck is complete and ready to hang, I don't see how they can sell them so cheap.
If you are satisfied with all other aspects of your 14 year old machine, even putting $450 dollars into it might not be as expensive as replacing it with something else.
Cutting 1 acre fields of 2' high grass/weeds is not normal duty for this tractor, nor for any replacement LT you might get.
I always feel like I am offering advice from a mechanics point of view, which can be very different to the typical homeowner.
So, always look at my advice/suggestions as "is that something I can do or will I have to pay someone else to do that?".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here