Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabienne607

Need help figuring out why my mower won't start

fabienne607
9 years ago

I have a 14-38XL Wheelhorse 71168 that I'm having trouble starting. It turns over but won't start. There's no spark to the plug. Assuming it mat be a switch issue.... geez, there's so many and they're hard to find and get to....! This is what I've done so far:
Solenoid was bad so I replaced it.
Cleaned the carb
New battery
New plug
There's oil- no oil float that I know of
gas solenoid seems to be working
Shorted out the seat switch.
I get 10 volts to the starter then I turn the ignition- the battery is 12.6v so don't know if the battery has enough current to start it.
The Neutral switch is not activating the switch in neutral but it does in reverse... so long as the switch is activated does it matter whether it's in reverse or not?
I can hear the clutch switch activate but haven't actually checked the switch
haven't found the PTO switch yet.
All the fuses are okay
Looking at the schematic it seems that if there's v to the starter then the solendiod is getting activated, and the kill switch is okay (what/where is that?) and it that is working, then all the switches are working, although it looks like the magnito gets power from the kill switch when it is open, ie no voltage to the solenoid.... anyway I'm tired of effing around with this thing... I want it running so I can sell it. It's crawling with bugs and spiders and I'd like a quick and dirty way to check the electrical system w/o having to actually check/short each switch.... oh... what's this NMIR module and where is it? Can't find the kill relay either and I have all the manuals.

Any help is appreciaated!!!!

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations