Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Mowing in reverse problem.

rustyj14
12 years ago

How long did it take, before automobiles were equipped with rear view mirrors!?

Could the principal be used with riding tractor mowers?

Would vibration be detrimental to rear-view mirror use?

How about some discussion on the problem.

Or:

Could a guard be fastened to the rear of a lawn tractor, to keep kids and other things from being cut up or killed? It could be spring loaded so it would spring back, if ya ran over a stump or a rock between the wheels, while going forward.

Comments (14)

• ckr74
    12 years ago

It will add to the cost. Maybe a back up beeper?

• mownie
    12 years ago

It might be appropriate for us to revisit OSHA at this point.

{{gwi:331376}}

• doberman_2007
    12 years ago

Yes kinda like the gas can dilema .... whole nother story.
    you spill more than you put in.

• User
    12 years ago

"Yes kinda like the gas can dilema .... whole nother story"

Some of us learn from experience so when we first learned that was coming we ran out and bought a lifetime supply of the old style gas cans before they disappeared.

• doberman_2007
    12 years ago

I made the mistake of purchasing a 2 gallon for a blower ,the only one I have out of 6 cans , you can buy racing cans.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was given a 2.5 gallon red plastic gasoline can, by a neighbor, who said he was going to get one of the new type no-spill cans!
    Well, his old one is the kind with a spout that goes down into the can, a round plastic cap fits over the upper, big end, and a ring cap holds it in place, sealing it. When it is assembled and in place, it does not leak or drip! I love it

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    12 years ago

Anybody remember about 13 or so years back that a law (I think) was passed and all the riding mowers were set up to immediately die if they were put in reverse when the blades were engaged? I believe that lasted only one product year.

My vote is for a back up alarm, it'll warn kids and kritters, unfortunately, won't do anything for the operator who forgot his wife's prize roses are behind him...:-)

98 degrees at 1030 this AM in SE Ohio, Global Warming?

Ev

• doberman_2007
    12 years ago

My brother gave me a 6 gal one of the type rustyj14 mentioned and it works good , just make sure that the spout is all the way up.

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

There is only one solution to the backup problem with mowers. Look behind you before and during backing. I wonder if the same people who back mowers without looking do the same in their cars? If so, they won't be driving cars long. The solution is not a mower deck that doesn't mow in reverse. What good does that do? Have you ever seen a kid backed over by a mower with the deck not turning? I doubt anyone would survive that. The fact is some idiots will kill others by their negligence and foolish ways no matter what laws and regulations are passed.

• corn_squeezer
    12 years ago

I tore all the wires out of mine except what the engine needs to run and the headlights.

I can start it up without sitting on it!
    I can get off the mower and pick up a stick with the blades still turning full speed!
    I can lock on the cruise control and walk next to it while mowing alongside some blackberry bushes.
    I know it's my toes.

Take THAT Consumer Products Safety Commission!

The only critter I ever chopped up accidentally was a black snake (sorry bud) and that was in forward.

I do need to add a toggle switch and a back up light. It's dark out in the sticks at night.

• mownie
    12 years ago

Candidate for 2011 Annual Darwin Awards?

• User
    12 years ago

Wouldn't an award for a conspicuous lack of evolutionary advancement be a more accurate category?

• mownie
    12 years ago

Probably, but I am not sure if that one has been created yet.
    But I have seen the Darwin Awards and it's very apt in this case :^)

• User
    12 years ago

OK then, I second the nomination...

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths