Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wash Mower - Pissed Friend

Posted by skippymud NYState z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 10:42

Hello All, I need your help to figure out if I have done something really wrong, or is my buddy just crazy.

I borrowed a friend's mower (Craftsman 19hp B&S 42" 917.270771) as mine was temporarily broken. He advised me to not touch anything on his mower, not to 'unbolt' anything and be careful not to damage it.

I filled the left tire, added some oil (was a bit low) and did my lawn. As a show of appreciation for his letting me borrow it, I washed it for him. Used engine degreaser on the engine, auto wash soap on the body, and cleaned the rims and tires. He won't talk to me now for 4 days.

QUESTION IS: Did I violate some code or law of man's machines? In the world of mowers and men, does "do not touch anything" also mean "don't clean it"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wash Mower - Pissed Friend

Come over to Vt,I have a few mowers that need to be detailed,I'll buy the beer,and I'll talk to you(probably to much) but we'll be friends at the end of the day .....some people are just "over sensative"....strange though....nobody has ever brought my stuff back cleaner than they got it ???? Good Luck,Jim

o

Sounds like his instructions were pretty clear and you didn't follow them at all. Some people are pretty sentimental about their "babies." Now you better hope nothing goes wrong with it for the next year or two because I am sure he will blame you. As above, you can come over and wash mine any time you want and I will even say "thank you."

o

Some people do not like their mowers washed, especially just after running, including me. Cold water on hot spindles cause condensation inside, water on dusty cooling fins of engine cause the dust to adhere, cake, in under the cooling shroud where you don't see not to mention possible corrosion of electrical connections.

If he had given that extent of instructions, I would have looked somewhere else to borrow a mower or do as I do, push mow with my trim mower.

Your intentions were noble.

Walt Conner

o

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 11:45

This goes back to the old wash vs no-wash controversy (blow off w/ compressed air or leaf blower instead). You can find many very long and heated threads in this forum on that if you do a search. He'll now be one of those guys that says "I used to lend out equipment until it always came back with a problem, etc., etc." Oh well, you just sped up the process.

o

I would be annoyed if you washed mine. I believe its better dirty than rusty!

o

They wouldn't think twice about washing their cars. Oh no not my tractor. Some people can't get past the point that it is a stupid lawnmower.

o

***"I borrowed a friend's mower"***
In this case, the "friend" needs to realize and accept that your actions were a "show of gratitude" for lending his machine to you. In which case he should probably have just said, "Well, thanks, but I never wash the tractor for a number of reasons. Next time, I'd appreciate it if you don't wash it."
Sometimes, situations like this (or similar) give deep insights (or maybe "shallow" insights) to the "posturing" of an individual. If you disclosed that you found the oil to be low, and a tire underinflated, he might perceive that you are implying that his "maintenance standards" are "slack", but you took care of them where "he did not".
If ever you are in the position of "borrowing" something again........all the things you "might check" on the machine (oil level, tire pressure, etc) should really be done in the presence of the owner. Either by the owner, or at least, use the owners "tools" to do the checks. Doing this will show the owner that you really did the checks and whatever you find........the owner will see also. To come back later (when returning the borrowed item) and state, "I found the oil was low and I filled it up" or "One of the tires was low and I aired it up", might not be the best tactic. Because the owner did not "see" you do these things, he is free to "wonder" if what you say is true. "Borrowing and lending" has been practiced since "the beginning of time" and many a treatise has been devoted to it. A "rather well known" (maybe) and oft "repeated" quote by Polonius can be read by clicking the link below. Borrowing? Lending? Huh! That's what banks and "rent-a-centers" are for. :^)

Here is a link that might be useful: Literary history

o

Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 13:18

OK mownie, if you're going to be some kind of "literary teacher" in this "lawnmower forum," you might want to "back off" the quotations "just a tad." It's almost "as annoying" as someone using "CAPS" for all the words in "every sentence." Really, they don't all need to be "emphasized." ("LOL!")

o

Actually I was going to say it was only a #$%^&& mower. Does it really matter. But I didn't want to insult anyone!

o

gzec - If it is just a #$%^^&& mower, then get your own and quit borrowing from others.

o

When I barrow something of the like, I always ask ahead, something on the order of, "Do I need to check the oil?" or "Does it burn oil?" That lets the other party know I will be checking things.

o

I was taught to return something in better shape (cleaner, sharper, whatever) than it was when you borrowed it.

However I will say that when I read your story a soon as I heard he made so many pre-conditions that it seemed like a bad idea to borrow from this person.

Your heart was in the right place. Don't be discouraged !

o
on washing

BTW, long standing arguments about spindles and deck rust, unless the engine was real hot and you sprayed water on it....

washing a tractor a time or two a year is certainly not going to hurt it. These things are not like the wicked witch of the west ;)

o

Hello All! I am very happy to see such a helpful hand in my story. I do appreciate that.

I did warm the engine before cleaning it, but it was not hot. I also did not use the mower before I cleaned it, so the spindles weren't hot either.

With regard to my adding oil and filling the tire, I did mention both issues to the owner before I performed those tasks. However, as you all know, I did not ask if I could clean the mower. Perhaps in retrospect, I should have done that. But damn, I wanted it to be a surprise, and to let him know that I appreciated his loaning his equipment to me.

I do plan to continue going the extra mile for friends and family, but maybe I will ask first.

o

"They wouldn't think twice about washing their cars. Oh no not my tractor. Some people can't get past the point that it is a stupid lawnmower."

Your comparison is so ridiculous that it does not deserve a response.

Walt Conner

o

***"you might want to "back off" the quotations"***
Sorry larso, the "quotation marks" represent my hands. I can't talk without "gesturing" with my hands, and I can hardly "write" a sentence without quotation marks. You do "understand", don't you? :^)

o

FWIW: copied from that sears tractor manual....

CLEANING
Clean engine, battery, seat, finish, etc.
of all foreign matter.
Keep finished surfaces and wheels free
of all gasoline, oil, etc.
Protect painted surfaces with automotive
type wax.
We do not recommend using a garden
hose to clean your tractor unless the electrical
system, muffler, air filter and carburetor
are covered to keep water out. Water
in engine can result in a shortened engine
life.

'course, who reads the manuals ? After all we're all macho men around here and we know they don't ever read manuals.

As Slammer would succinctly say "BWAAAH-Hah-Hah-Haw"

o

Jeez it's not like he loaned you a brand new Everide or something, people are funny. Maybe a full tank would have done it. You can borrow my '10 Camaro and don't need to wash it.

o

I used to be that way about my tractor when I got it, and I'm still that way about most of my high-dollar tools. Usually when a true friend asks to borrow my tractor, pressure washer, framing nailer, etc, but I don't trust their ability to treat it properly (or use it safely), I just offer to help them out with the project, mow their grass for them, till their garden, or if I don't have time for those things, I'll make up an excuse about how it's in some state of disrepair and temporarily out of commission.
That's a lot easier than saying "No" or "What did you do to my tractor?"

When I first moved in, I didn't have a tractor, and my neighbor was more than willing to lend me (or anyone) his LT155. I used it, then washed it (with the best intentions and minimal common sense). A few months later he borrowed some chisels, then gave them back looking like he'd split bricks with them. I never offered to share a tool again, and he never asked.

o

My friend got back to me finally. He was really flippin' pissed, but we worked it out.

He invited me over the next day and asked if I wanted to borrow any more items - snowblower (its June in the northeast, buy hey...), 2 nice cars, a minivan, his 3 wonderful children and the family dog.

Thanks for all of your help, gentlemen.

o

***"He invited me over the next day and asked if I wanted to borrow any more items - snowblower (its June in the northeast, buy hey...), 2 nice cars, a minivan, his 3 wonderful children and the family dog."***
Avoid borrowing the children. Of the entire list, the family dog would probably cause you the least grief (unless, of course, you try to wash him) :^)

o

Okay, my previous post wasn't true, but I thought it would be funny to come up with a crazy story about 2 cars, a snowblower, etc. Friend didn't like that.

Truth is that my friend was just busy and had not taken the time to reply to my e-mail yet.

o

When I borrow my neighbors mower, or ask that he take care of my dogs if we are out of town for a day or two, I always make sure I give him something to show my gratitude. Usually a case of beer, sometimes a bottle of wine for his wife, and always a full tank of gas in the mower upon return.

I have another neighbor who I asked to borrow a roto tiller once to till a very small flower garden. Said neighbor didn't let me borrow it. Fast forward a number of years when this neighbor saw me spraying my lawn with a tow behind sprayer that my brother in law and I bought, he asked if I would spray his yard for him. I let him borrow the sprayer and when he was done he just left it outside my garage.

Same neighbor asked me to get his mail one vacation when he and his wife toured Napa Valley. When they returned I gave him his mail and he proceeded to tell me about how many wineries they visited and how many cases of California wine they brought back. He then hands me a bag of jelly beans as thanks for helping him out. This was shortly after Easter.

People can be funny.

o

Ok, this is the friend. I have to make it clear. I'm not pissed. Or at least I wasn't.

Ken borrowed my lawnmower, and as he correctly noted, I was very hedgey about it. I understand his mower broke and he needs one. That's OK. (My live in fater-in-law hired a mowing service if you're wondering why I don't need my mower so much.) Ken is murder on machines, that's why I was hedgey. I asked that he not take any of it apart for fear that it would end up like all the other mowers in his garden of mowers.

I should note that ken did successfully reconstruct a snow blower that had a big hole in the engine case. Although he did use wood screws to repair it, I must admit, it did work again. It should also be noted that ken has a mower that he somehow managed to make a dragster out of. It does wheelies in the lawn. It is very scary to ride.

I didn't reply to his e-mail because I've got three kids and a growing a business. I was a little busy. Why would I be pissed that he washed my mower? Like someone else said "It's just a mower"

o

Sounds to me like this whole thing was a spoof, a put up deal.

Walt Conner

o

Well its nice to see there are no hard feelings - and that someone elses business is actually growing.

I guess the silence is what gets peoples imaginations going a bit...

Another happy ending.

Although - I have a friend who insists that he never washes his dirt bike down... (hey Lee - at least hose the thing off a bit... )

I would frequently hose mine of and then one day I see my rear wheel is shakey... (dead wheel bearing). Replaced it and kept washing the bike (but never used the cheapo power washer again). But eventually I had another dead wheel bearing.

I stopped washing the bike down as well as I used to - and I installed a zerk fitting into the hub to keep the bearings lubed.

o

Patrick, you're right; I am murder on machines. This is too much fun though. My turn.

I also sent 3 text messages and made 1 phone call - no return. I get no respect. "What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife."

Let the record show that I change the oil in my car and in my machines regularly. I'm not going to say whether Patrick had ever changed the oil in his old Subaru. He is not murder on machines.

We did not take his Volvo in the woods and around a flat-track in oversteer using the E-brake. He did not cut rounded slices out of a tree limb with my chainsaw. It certainly wasn't him bouncing on the back of my old mower when the transmission dropped out of it in pieces. And he was not driving the Baja BR150 when the drive shaft inside the CVT broke in half.

Nope, that wasn't Patrick. He is only kind to machines.

Okay, your turn. Oh what fun! Got a new Xterra? Got fun?

o

Wow, this thread tanked. It's bad enough when someone talks to themselves, but when they post to themselves (or their imaginary friends that lend them mowers) it is just plain strange.

o

Hi there Metal and Walt,

Yes, it is tanked - WOW! But the user imnotpissed is the real deal. He is the friend I mentioned in the very beginning. He joined to offer feedback. Toooo funny!!

Ken

o

Fri, Jun 12, 09 at 12:04

"Wow, this thread tanked. It's bad enough when someone talks to themselves, but when they post to themselves (or their imaginary friends that lend them mowers) it is just plain strange."

Yah, I'm feeling kind of used and dirty right now. "Used" because I was tricked into contributing to this thread. And "dirty" because I took the no-wash cleaning recommendation to the next level....I now clean myself off every morning with compressed air instead of a shower. It's been one year so far and my wife is really getting irritated with me. However, I show her the old threads on the dangers of cleaning with water and it kind of settles her down for awhile...

o

Okay larso1, I hear ya. I do appreciate all the help on the original issue from everyone anyway. It's just banter now. Good Night and Good Luck.

o

larso-don't worry, we come with sealed bearings from the factory. I still wouldn't use a pressure washer in certain areas though : )

o

Fri, Jun 12, 09 at 16:54

Actually, skippymud, I think this is a good thread. I've been experiencing issues with neighbors lately on the same topic. When I ask some of my work-mates what they would do in this situation, they say absolutely they would lend a riding mower to their neighbors if asked. Some say no way due to past experience. My wife is a nurse and a giver, but she has an old Ariens tiller given to her by her father and she refused a neighbor's request when we were asked to use it for a large area. That kind of surprised me a little, knowing her, but it wasn't my tiller to lend out either. It really depends on the situation, and if you actually like your neighbor(s) too. There are a few around me that I don't.

o

Thanks for kind words, larso1. Always good to see a good, neighborly person out there.

Well, your wife refused the Ariens Tiller to a neighbor. Sometimes those sentimental things are really sentimental I guess. Did she by chance mention to the neighbor that it was for sentimental reasons?

o

Fri, Jun 12, 09 at 18:18

Skippymud, yes she did. She was very nice and cordial about it and explained that it was given to her by her father. But the guy didn't seem too happy about it none-the-less. She told me that she was a bit put-off that the neighbor would even ask to use it for a rather large penned horse arena, that was HIS next door neighbor's. It's just a 22-in. walk-behind and I have to agree with her that it wasn't the appropriate tool for that job.

o

The great thing about weblogs is that people worlds away can discuss their common interests as if in the same room.

When people within close physical proximity to each other use it to amuse each other, I gotta admit, it's a little creepy.

o

I would not borrow a neighbor's mower. I just fix my own or I don't mow.
By the way speaking as a mechanic since 1960. Washing mowers and other such equipment is a good way to get water and dirt where it doesn't belong. It causes premature wear and failure of all types of components. Pressure washers are much worse than a bucket and rag.

o

I agree about the washing being bad. My father n law kept replacing his mower every 5 yrs. He washed it after each use with a hose. He then figured out what was going on and he purchased a $99 craftsman compressor. He now simply cleans the grass clippings with compressed air.

o

I with ya, zoulas. My friend's mower had not ever been truly cleaned. I think it would even be a stretch to say he has mowed in the rain maybe twice. There is a little surface rust here and there, but probably because it is kept in an old damp barn.

rdaystrom, I hear ya on the pressure washer issue. Yeah, I don't think I'd put a piece of machinery through that jump-start to failure. It's an 8 or 9 year old machine, washed only once, and dried in the sun with the engine at idle for a while to warm the parts and pieces.

o

I would have been pissed if you just asked to borrow my mower.Luckily my neighbors know im not the borrowing type and not the lending type.My motto is if I need to borrow I need to own.If it might breakdown I need a spare.That why I have about 3 of everything except wives.

o

People, at the end of the day, it is just a bucket of bolts.

Friendships should last a lot longer than any mower. And for all those who say that they would not let a friend borrow a mower, I don't think I would want you as a friend; not because I want to borrow your stuff but because you don't understand that friednship should mean more than a rusty bucket of bolts.

o

You busy for the rest of your life? If my son in law ever brought back anything in half the condition it left, I would faint.

o

I hear ya too, johndeere. I actually have 2 mowers. Both were broken on the same day - very strange!

I figure that loaning equipment to friends and thus being loaned equipment [by] friends gives both parties at least the opportunity to show gratitude and appreciation to one another... for not only the loaning process, but the chance to earn mutual respect for tools and friends alike.

All is well in the Southern Hudson Valley of New York today!! I'm out to do the lawn, line trim, hedge trim, etc.

o

i don't think it was washing of the body that bothered him, it was the degreasing of the engine, that's not for amateurs, you can mess up a engine if you don't know what you are doing.

o

When you borrow stuff it is always an oportunity to get blamed for something. I loaned a pressure washer to a guy who managed to peel the wood off his deck and almost cut his foot off...nice. Oh yeah he washed his car and blew the paint and chrome off.... when he brought it back he showed off his red foot. never again.

o

The guy just left my house ,yelled through the window to borrow pressure washer ..... guess what I said.......

o

He is weird and too up tight. He needs to suck it up, you lend you take a risk, period.

Several years ago I was stuck at work during a snow storm and had to work long hours. My family could not shovel my house out. My neighbor took it upon himself and used his snowblower and did my entire driveway and walks. He accidently went between my curb and my car on the driveway and scraped my car along the side and left some red snapper snowblower paint. So I sucked it up. Would be ungreatful for me to rip him a new a_ _. Oh well, you win some you lose some. But in the big picture, it is better my family was not trapped and it is better to have neighbors like that versus selfish ones.

o

I recently bought a low-hours-used large Zero Turn (from the dealer). Both the mechanic and the dealer both advised that cleanup is using an air hose only. They were very specific, clean off all grass and leaves with compressed air only.

o

• Posted by rej2 Z5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 10:41

Never borrow never loan. REJ2

o

I see a tractor as a lump of spare parts....designed to work for a living...not to be prettied up.

A case of beer was all that he wanted.

On the other hand. At least you did give it back to him.....

o

What made him mad is that he has a neighbor that borrowed.Mine no better then to ask.They also respect me because they know I will not be asking to borrow anything of theres.I think of borrowers as leashes.You could have hired your mowing done and could have even offered to pay him to mow it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here