Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishoutofwater_gw

John Deere X320 blade disengaging

FishOutOfWater
9 years ago

I'm newly registered here, but have found many many useful posts here in the past. First up, I'm not looking to disable/bypass any safety features of my X320. When I'm mowing like usual the blade is randomly disengaging every few minutes, so my assumption is that either the seat switch or the RIO switch is mistakenly being activated. To narrow it down I held the RIO switch in the up/on position while mowing for at least 10 minutes and it never cut out.

I'm pretty mechanically minded, but have never done any work on a lawn tractor. How do I go about troubleshooting this issue?

Comments (11)

• justalurker
    9 years ago

Could be the seat switch or the reverse switch or the RIO switch.

There's no adjustment on the seat or RIO switch so look for loose or dirty connections at the switches or frayed or pinched wires.

Just to be sure check the fuse connections also.

Make sure all four ends on both battery cables are clean and tight.

How old is your X320 and how many hours?

• FishOutOfWater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's 2 years old, well under 100 hours. But it does live in a dirt floor garage with the mice. I'll go play with it when it stops raining and follow up. Thanks for the tips.

• justalurker
    9 years ago

If holding the RIO switch seems to cure the problem could be that the reverse switch (under the RH floorboard is out of adjustment and it thinks you're backing up. Reverse switch is B in the picture.

And check the plug connection at the electric clutch.

This post was edited by justalurker on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 12:47

• mownie
    9 years ago

JAL, forgive my impertinence here.
    Nice picture. A indicates the switch plunger where its operating rod contacts.
    B indicates the mounting/adjustment bolt holding the switch in place.
    OP, if there is any wear in the linkages related to the operating rod that works the switch, that could be why the system is thinking you have selected reverse travel.
    Check for sloppy fitting bushings and pins, and check that the switch itself has not gotten loose and vibrated out of adjustment.
    Even the switch itself could have gotten flaky.

• justalurker
    9 years ago

On some models there is no rod and the switch plunger hits the reverse pedal itself.

On some models the switch is mounted sideways with the tab vertical and two 6mm bolts above horizontally.

Yea, I took some latitude using the B instead of inserting an arrow into the pic but my intent was obvious... or so I thought. Without a serial number and the exact tech manual I did the best I could without writing a dissertation as some often do... forgive my impertinence.

• mownie
    9 years ago

Yes, JAL, your intent was obvious (to me) and appreciated, I just thought the OP might need a little clarification in case he is not familiar with stuff.
    No offense intended at all.
    Thanks, :^)

• justalurker
    9 years ago

mownie,

I give posters the benefit of the doubt and don't prejudge their mechanical ability or lack of it especially when they post "I'm pretty mechanically minded".

If the picture doesn't remotely represent what the OP sees when he/she takes a look then I guess they'll reply and say so.

• FishOutOfWater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is all good stuff. Didn't get a chance to look at it today, but will get back when I do. Might be next weekend.

I've worked on cars plenty, but have no special equipment. How the heck do you get "under" a mower??? Apparently I can replace a head gasket on a V6 with nothing more than a Hanes manual and a borrowed socket set, but I actually don't know how to get to the fiddly bits of a lawn tractor. Do people jack them up or put them on ramps or what? Sorry, probably seems obvious to anyone else. My wife tells me I'm the dumbest smart person she knows!

• justalurker
    9 years ago

Floor jack, ramps on front wheels, just observe the same safety considerations you use when working on cars.

For what you're looking for under the RH footrest you can just lay down, roll over, and look up. Look carefully cause dirt or twigs can build up and trip that switch.

• leafeanator
    9 years ago

You could take out bolt "B" ( 10MM) that holds the switch as a test. Just let the switch hang there - it will now never sense if going in reverse. This is just a test though! I've been testing mine for 3 years now:)

• mownie
    9 years ago

***"You could take out bolt "B" ( 10MM) that holds the switch as a test. Just let the switch hang there - it will now never sense if going in reverse. This is just a test though! I've been testing mine for 3 years now:)"***
    Yeah, and hope that you and your lawyer never have to discuss the results of the test in court during a wrongful death lawsuit.
    Yeah, you could do that, but SHOULD you do that??

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA