Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ventura67

Battery Not Charging

ventura67
9 years ago

John Deere-built 2002 Scotts L2048

It has been a suprisingly good lawn tractor over these 12 years.

But now it will not charge its battery while running. I've installed a new battery and regulator and cleaned up any obvious connections I could find. It runs normally otherwise, but when I shut it down the battery is dead and must be jumped to start again. Help!

Comments (19)

• mownie
    9 years ago

If you are planning DIY, you need to post the Kohler engine model number here and also go to the Kohler website for a free PDF of the service manual for this engine.
    Kohlers are somewhat "notorious" for having alternator magnets come loose inside the flywheel. Once the magnets are loose from their moorings (glue) they may pile up on each other, knocking other magnets off.
    The loose magnets can/will plow into the stator windings (coils of wire) and destroy them.
    Looks like you might be heading for some major $ outlay if any of this has happened.
    Photo is from a member's Kohler where the scenario happened.The magnets that came loose are sticking to the steel stator laminations.
    Some coils have been bent/destroyed.

This post was edited by mownie on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 13:51

• ventura67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. It is a Briggs and Stratton

Family YBSXS.7242VF 27844

• mownie
    9 years ago

OK, I polled a website for specs and that website indicated it had a Kohler engine. You just can't trust anything you find on the internet!
    The numbers you posted are from an emissions label.
    Look on the engine for these specific numbers.
    In this order you will see: Model number, Type number, Code.
    Once you have found those, post back the model and type numbers. Code will not be needed.

• klem1
    9 years ago

Ever put a charger on it? The tractor can't charge a bad battery,even one 6 months old that's gone bad.

• bluemower
    9 years ago

in addition to the questions asked by the others, please identify the color of the wires and connectors to the regulator. This will help in trouble shooting your charging system.

Is your tractor equipped with an electric clutch for the blades?

• ventura67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your time. I remember that when I bought it you could choose between a B&S and Kohler engine. I have the B&S.

Attached with this should be a picture of the regulator. I changed it with no improvement. The battery does hold a charge from a charger, starts the tractor great for a time or two, and then gets weaker until it is dead. Even as if the tractor is using some of the battery energy to run.

It does have an electric clutch, and that has been acting up since the charging problem started. Sometimes it will not re-engage after being employed for awhile and disengaged (like when emptying the bags or something). Then I have to shut the tractor down and go jump it, and it's as if the clutch has reset and will engage again. Less often it will just give out in the middle of a mowing run. I've kinda figured this was associated with the charging problem.

• ventura67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, a picture of the only other engine information I could find...

• ventura67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was the only other engine info I could find, is there anywhere I might need to look as far as removing valences and so on?

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Unplug the Yellow connector.
    Measure the AC voltage between the 2 Yellow wires at high engine speed.
    I'm not sure of the exact spec, but it's either 28 or 40 VAC MINIMUM.
    So, if you are less than 28, we know the stator is dead for sure.
    That's AC, not DC.

• mownie
    9 years ago

Actually, you unplug the yellow connector and check between the 2 BLACK wires while the engine is running at high speed.
    There are 2 different alternators available for this Model 406777, Type 0128-E1 engine.
    One is a 10 amp and the other is a 16 amp.
    The Briggs specs call for not less than 20 VAC for the 10 amp system, and not less than 30 VAC for the 16 amp system.
    But, if you get less than 20 VAC, the stator is defective for sure, and if the stator is defective, both alternators use the same stator.
    The 16 amp alternator has bigger magnets in the flywheel, so if it needs a stator, you don't have to determine which system you have. 496458 is the part number for the stator.

• ventura67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, so I tested those two black wires from the stator- 1.9. dead? The multimeter tested 26 at my truck's battery, so it must be working.

The parts guys at the local shop said it is rare for stators to go bad, but it would seem mine has. Is this a job I can do myself? I have reasonable mechanical skill and patience.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

1.9 WHAT?
    26 WHAT?

Volts?
    AC or DC

• ventura67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, volts AC

• User
    9 years ago

26 VAC at your truck's battery?

You're doing something wrong. A car/truck battery should be 12.7 to 13.2 VDC static and up to 14 VDC with engine running.

• ventura67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wasn't sure which setting to have the meter on, but here are my two readings... Full throttle, testing the two black wires that head into the regulator.

• ventura67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this....

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Are you connecting the leads to BOTH wires?
    Not one wire and the other lead to ground.

• ventura67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, both wires.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

The lower range is the one to use.

BTW- Your test indicates a bad stator.
    You should have an absolute minimum of at least 28V. Some stators should be even higher

On your 200V scale, the max reading the meter can show is 199.9V.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!