Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere iTorque engine? where's Kawasaki?

Posted by behaviorkelton 7-ish (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 12:27

In looking at the middle of the line John Deere mower models (x500), I'm noticing that they appear to have gone from Kawasaki engines toward their own JD brand of engines.

Does John Deere actually make the engine?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere iTorque engine? where's Kawasaki?

As I continued to search for the answer, I have found certain listings written as such:

"V-twin, air-cooled John Deere iTorque� Power System by Kawasaki"

Hopefully, this means that Kawasaki makes all John Deere engines labelled as "iTorque"

o

Sounds like a consortium effort by John Deere, Kawasaki, and Apple :^)

o

JD and Kawasaki have partnered for quite a while ion the upmarket JD garden class tractors.

I believe the reference to the iTorque is to recognize the latest class of Kawasaki engines which meet the latest EPA requirements in 2011.

If you go the the JD web site anf punch up the operator manual for the 2011 X500 it clearly shows:

Engine - iTorque Power System
X500, X530 and X534

Engine Make: Kawasaki

Model Number: FS730V

Bore 78 mm (3.07 in.)

Stroke 76 mm (2.99 in.)

Displacement 726 cm3 (44.3 cu in.)

Cylinders V-Twin

Cycle Four

Cooling Air Cooled

You can Google the model # FS730V and look up anything you want to know about the engine.

o

Thanks for the added info.

I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be ok with the base x500 model...rather than one of the 2000 series tractors. I'll just hire out the kinds of work that I might need (lots of fence post holes, some clearing of trees, etc.)

So are these Kawasaki made FS730V engines well regarded by those who know about these things???

Thanks

o

I'll simply say this... among all the brands of residential lawn and garden tractor there is no manufacturer who warrants their products for anywhere near as long as JD warrants the Select Series (X3xx, X5xx, and X7xx) which use Kawasaki engines although there are some diesel X7xx models.

Also, you will rarely see any other manufacturer using the same class Kawasaki engines in their products as JD uses. May be a contractual thing or it may be that those engines cost more... who knows ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here