Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cedarghost

Briggs 25 hp V Twin Backfiring through carb

cedarghost
12 years ago

Yep, it's me again...

I just replaced the sump gasket on my Briggs 25 hp V Twin model number 445777-0168-E1. While in the process, I replaced the starter, the carb, cleaned the heads and valves, relapped the valves and adjusted them.

I replaced the filters, oil, plugs and voltage regulator. Got it all back together yesterday and it ran great and mowed great EXCEPT, it started leaking oil from the bottom of one of the heads. Took it off, and sure enough the head gasket had blown. So I got a new head gasket and put it on, readjusted the valves on that side and off we go.

Except now I have a new problem. It backfires through the carb under load. Normally I would think to check the valves and make sure I adjusted them right (and that's the first thing I will do), but I didn't replace the other head gasket and I bet it may be blown too. Unfortunately they only had one in the local shop and had to order the other.

The other thing that has me wondering, is that one of the intake bolts, on the side I DID NOT replace the head gasket on, is stripped out. I mean it is not putting hardly any pressure on the intake manifold. So could be it getting an excessive amount of air in on that side causing the backfire?

Remember, the only thing that changed from yesterday (when it wasn't backfiring) is that I replaced a head gasket and readjusted valves on one side. Which did involve removing the intake manifold, of course.

So what do you guys think? Fix that bolt, replace the other head gasket and readjust the valves and go from there?

Backfiring through the carb is normally caused by a bad fuel/air ratio isn't it? Which could be caused by a bad head gasket or a leak at the intake manifold, right? Or there could be crap in the carb, I guess, but this is a new carb and it didn't do it yesterday.

I forgot to mention, it runs a little rough at low idle today too. Didn't do that yesterday.

I have another concern I would like to ask about as well. I had to have the bolt in the bottom of the crank machined out, and when they drilled it and put it a helicoil, it is just a hair off-center. This really worries me. Worst case scenerio, what can that tear up? The clutch? Belt wear? I don't feel or see any abnormal vibration in the clutch and the bolt is spinning like crazy. You can't even tell it is off-center while looking at it when it is running.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (5)

• mownie
    12 years ago

While the engine is at idle RPM, spray a short, light burst of carb cleaner on the gasket seam of the intake manifold where it fastens to the head. A change of RPM that coincides with your spraying indicates a vacuum leak at that spot.
    Any vacuum leakage there will alter the air/fuel ratio to the cylinder.
    Due to the nature of "harmonic vibration", a poorly secured gasket location might in fact "open wider" at specific RPM points, and will even erode the gasket if not repaired.

The appearance that the crank thread repair is slightly "off center" may only be an illusion.
    It WILL NOT matter if the threaded hole is merely a thread or so off center anyhow...............the mounting bolt ONLY serves to secure the clutch and pulleys to the crankshaft.......it plays no role at all in centering the pulleys to the crankshaft.
    Centering of the pulleys to the crank is achieved by the bore of the pulleys fitting the outside diameter of the crankshaft PTO surface.

• cedarghost
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice tip once again Mownie. I tried it and it does leak there, sure enough. I went ahead and took the other head off to check the gasket and while it's all there, it's also pretty ragged (meaning that it is separating into layers). I'll get a helicoil kit for the bolt and my head gasket should be in tomorrow.
    I'll let you guys know how it goes. As far as running while not under load, it low idles at 1723, high idles at 3575, starts real quick and sounds smooth going up and down with the throttle. Couldn't have done it without your help.
    I was hoping as much about the bolt being off-center. I noticed it was just a bearing under there anyway and that the washer looks like it should let the bolt spin using that bearing.

• cedarghost
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got my helicoil kit in and the other head gasket on. She runs and mows great. Only backfired a little when I was in some really deep grass (about 12 inches) and it was still wet this morning. I know, I shouldn't mow when it's too wet, and I didn't mow too much, just wanted to test her out. :)

• mownie
    12 years ago

OK, good.
    12" of wet grass will impose quite a load...............so if you are only getting sporadic cough back through the carb I would attribute that to some minor "hunting" of the governor.
    The real evaluation of fuel ratio and cylinder balance should be done after you have mowed with it a couple of times under "normal conditions" by reading the coloration of the spark plugs.

• cedarghost
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just an update. The mower runs and cuts great. I have an occasional backfire under really heavy load, but other than that she is good to go. I mowed 4 1/2 acres with it yesterday and some of it had gotten pretty thick while the mower has been down.
    My backfiring, was either the bad head gasket on one side, or the stripped intake manifold bolt on that same side. In any case I replaced them both and no more problems.
    Thanks a bunch.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville