Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

rebuild fuel pump

Briggs 12HP, 281707 Type 0185-01, I'm starting to think I need to rebuild the fuel pump. The engine is a '88 and all original on a roper LT. Tractor runs fine, starts to miss then dies. Let it sit for a while and it starts and runs again. Not electrical, all safety switches disconnected as the mower was removed and it only pulls a cart. Key switch replaced a couple years ago. Disconnecting the ground wire from the mag doesn't allow it to start when it's stalled.

Been a while since I fooled with one of these, how much fuel should it pump when the engine is cranked? New fuel filter and when the rear of tractor is elevated (tank under seat) fuel runs out the fuel filter that feeds into the fuel pump. I didn't disconnect the pump outlet yet to see how much was coming out.

Checked on the web and the pump repair kit is $30-45 and a new pump is $95.

Opinions or advice?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Comments (14)

• walt2002
    11 years ago

"Checked on the web and the pump repair kit is $30-45 and a new pump is $95."

That is ridiculous. Have you checked the gas cap vent? Tried a separate temp. gravity feed tank? How about the vacuum line to the fuel pump?

Walt Conner

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Have you ACTUALLY checked for spark when hot? Sometimes the coils get bad when hot.

Fuel filter restricted? There's a point where they go from good to bad. Guess what the symptoms are during that period.

You could try priming the carb with a couple teaspoons worth of gas when the problem happens.
    If it fires & then stalls, it's a fuel delivery issue. If not, it's probably spark.

Google Briggs 394462 pump

• mownie
    11 years ago

Next time you want to test it, loosen the gas cap when it begins to stutter and misfire. If it is a vent problem the engine should smooth out again in just 1 or 2 seconds.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

Walt, agree, when did the price for a simple vacuum fuel pump get so ridiculous? Haven't tried a separate gravity feed tank yet, have to tinker something up or raise the rear of the tractor and extend the hose to get to the carb. Something I definitely haven't looked at is the hose from the crankcase. Will do that tomorrow.

Bill, new fuel filter (1 month ago), haven't checked for spark or tried priming as it only happens when it's about 500 feet from the barn and tools.

Mownie, forgot to mention that I'd tried removing the gas cap, didn't help. Gas cap is only about two years old, one of the pups ran off with the old one while I was fueling it.....:-)

My plan of attack is to check the hose from the crankcase. Start it up and run it at half throttle and see if it'll act up. If it does hen raise the rear end, extend the hose from the fuel filter and connect to the carb and see what happens.

Bill, I agree that spark and old coils (24 years old) seem a likely suspect, however haven't looked into that as given the cost of a rebuild kit for the pump don't even want to think what a new mag would be....:-)

Thanks for all the responses,

Ev

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Follow up to my last post. I got curious and checked the cost of a new mag, $33-$39. And a new fuel pump is $95???? I'm now hoping it's the mag.

Something's wrong with this picture?

Ev

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

"Something's wrong with this picture?"

Use Google and the Briggs part#
    Pump# is 492922

I'm not sure where you are pricing your parts, but hopefully you aren't a purchasing agent for the govt!

• mownie
    11 years ago

Nahhhh! The gummint pays $955 for that pump.

• walt2002
    11 years ago

Well I got a couple of fuel pumps I'll sure part with to highest bidder.

While anything can fail, B&S ignition coils are very reliable.

Walt Conner

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, "stuff" just happened here and I won't be doing anything with this for a few weeks. I did check the vacuum hose from the crankcase, seemed OK, but maybe connecting and reconnecting did something. Anyway, it "seems" to be running OK for now.

Bill, I used "AYP+XXXXXX" as I always do. the part number you gave is for an end cap.

Thanks again for the respnses.

Ev

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Maybe because I said-
    "Use Google and the Briggs part#
    Pump# is 492922 "

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funny looking pump?

Here is a link that might be useful: Briggs # 492922

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

OOPS! Make that a 491922.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Much better. Thanks "MR." (heavy on the MR.) Bill, you've taught me something else. Interesting, I always use the "AYP+" when looking for parts, but that's usually for Tec engines and "non briggs" parts for tractors and things. Usually for Briggs I just stop by the local guy who has them. I only went on this exercise to see what you folks would say about rebuilding one of these. $10 for a rebuild kit puts things in a "whole "nother" light."

Thanks again,

Ev

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

AYP=American Yard Products.
    Craftsman (most), Roper, Poulan, Husqvarna, Weed Eater and?? products.

For Briggs, it's better to download the IPL for your specific engine from their website and "go to the horses mouth".

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?