Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredmike_gw

Mower Tire alternates ?

RetiredMike
10 years ago

Got my Craftsman rider going but have new issue. Current tires are turf and in Maine we have W-E-T everywhere. As soon as it starts to dry out I got to get on the yard. But the turf's are going to spin. Is there any 'mudlug's' out there that might be swappable for the stock tires that come on this ? I was thinking an ATV type might work. Any idea's would be very welcome.

retired04497@gmail.com

Comments (17)

• User
    10 years ago

HDAP tires on the rear are very popular for exactly what you describe.

HDAP is the slang name for Carlisle All Trail and Field Trax tires.

Based on your rear tire size one or the other will be available.

Just Google and you'll get mucho hits for sellers.

They are a real PITA to mount so pal up with someone at the local tire store and find out what they like to drink ;-)

• grass1950
    10 years ago

If you go to Carlilsletire.com you can view all the alternitives of tread and size availability. Find a dealer with google. Stop and Go Tires also has pictures of tread designs and sizes of Carlisle as well as other manufacturers. Cratsman tractors usually don't have locking differentials, so you can still get wheel spin and with an aggressive tread: lots of damage. That being said, take a look at bar tires too.

• User
    10 years ago

Bar or Ag tires are the most aggressive tread and will ride rough and scar the terrain if you're not careful. Unless you really need Ag tires the HDAPs are a better all around choice in every way.

The overwhelming choice of LT and GT owners who need more than turf style tires are either the Carlisle All Trail or Field Trax tires depending on the size needed. They can be run down around 6 psi and give GREAT grab and a comfy ride. Great in snow without chains with adequate weight.

I've never had to use my diff lock and have never spun my HDAPs...

This post was edited by justalurker on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 21:28

• grass1950
    10 years ago

I've never had any problems with bar/ag tires. Tore up the yard with turf tire spin but not the bar tires. Bar tires do NOT give a rough ride on turf and not bad on pavement either. I've got nothing against HDAPs, but they are a half-way choice and in no way are they better in every way--at least not in my book and they are 30% more expensive than bar tires.

• User
    10 years ago

That's why there are 31 flavors. I've had Ags on 3 GTs and they were hard riding especially on hard surfaces and scarred big time making tight turns. I'm glad they work to your satisfaction.

I said ""Unless you really need Ag tires the HDAPs are a better all around choice in every way" not a better choice in every instance.

For sure my made in USA HDAPs cost more than cheap imported ags but made in USA ags cost just as much as HDAPs.

• grass1950
    10 years ago

Arrrgh. JL you can be annoying. American made vs imports? Now where did that come from? My bar/ag are Carlisle 101s.. They are atleast 30% cheaper than Carlisle HDAPs and much more of a discount depending where you buy. You can run 101s at preasures as low as 5#. I quarantee you that if you put a blindfolded person in a lawn on aGT tactor with those and a GT tractor with HDAPs, they could NOT tell the difference in ride. If you are going to make a continuous hard turn in a circle either one is going to damage the turf. With a little forsight and avoiding pivoting on a rear wheel, you can avoid damage, but I'll give you that you can be a little more careless with HDAPs, I'd rather take the maximum traction, lower cost, and use a little care in my driving.

• User
    10 years ago

101 Chevron 24x12x12 = $95.24

http://www.carlisletirestore.com/store/101.htm

Field Trax 24x12x12 = $107.14

http://www.carlisletirestore.com/store/fldtrx.html

Hardly a 30% difference in price.

Your personal attack does little to nothing to help the OP who asked for ANY IDEAS. Now he has at least two ideas to research.

EOT

This post was edited by justalurker on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 21:32

• grass1950
    10 years ago

I stand corrected on the price differential. It seems I wasn't comparing same sized tires.
    Let's just say we have different opinions when it comes to opinions.

This post was edited by grass1950 on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 9:15

• User
    10 years ago

Let's just say you have opinions when it comes to facts.

• grass1950
    10 years ago

It's unfortunate for the OP that you dont know the difference.

• User
    10 years ago

I know how to loosen a stuck bolt.

If the OP takes the time to look around the net at other LT/GT forums they will find that the overwhelming favorite in an upgrade tire from the turf design for all around use are the Carlisle Field Trax and All Trail tires.

This post was edited by justalurker on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 15:42

• grass1950
    10 years ago

No matter how limited, I'm sure the world takes comfort that you know something. Soldier on and keep posting updates on your progress..

• grass1950
    10 years ago

"If the OP takes the time to look around the net at other LT/GT forums they will find that the overwhelming favorite in an upgrade tire from the turf design for all around use are the Carlisle Field Trax and All Trail tires."

In support of your position that your opinion is a "fact", not an opinion, you invite the OP to survey the opinions of others on the net as to their opinion of a favorite tire upgrade? Neat, a democratic method of fact determination. That'll save tons of money wasted on the sciences and research.

The OP should take your advice and search the net for other opinions and testimonials. The professional lawn care sites in particulat have lengthy discussions of different tires, experiences, and pros and cons of nearly every tire and tread design from smooth to turf, to HDAP, to bar/ag. Knowledge is good. Bar/ag are but one alternative to turf tires and may not be the best one for his situation. And HDAPs may or may not be. But now he knows my opinion and your "facts."

This post was edited by grass1950 on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 16:28

• User
    10 years ago

Having owned Ags and HDAPs on multiple GTs I have first hand experience with both style tires. While you not relating ANY first hand experience with HDAPs makes your opinion limited in this discussion.

It is a fact that there are more first hand experiences with different tires on LT/GTs out there to draw from than the two so far here.

I encourage the OP to check other LG/GT sites for the actual experience of others who have made the choice and what their conclusions are and then make up his own mind.

• grass1950
    10 years ago

"Having owned Ags and HDAPs on multiple GTs I have first hand experience with both style tires. While you not relating ANY first hand experience with HDAPs makes your opinion limited in this discussion."

Now you're going the route of trying to marginalize me?
    1. I do have experience with bar/lug/ag tires (Carlisle AT 101) and I don't need any personal experience with HDAPs to categorally determine that your statements about rough ride and scarring are not accurate when it comes to the AT 101. A bar tire is capable of providing greater traction than ANY HDAP tread design--or do you want to argue that point too?
    2.Your past disparaging remarks concerning and riding mower that isn't a JD would indicate that you probably have never owned a Craftsman. If so, then per your logic, my past experience as Craftsman riding owner marginalizes the value of YOUR input on this topic.

Importantly for the OP, neither one of us have addressed a critical element in this discussion. Rim size. The OP has identified his mower as a rider, not a GT. We should have cleared that up as it's possible all or some of our recommendations will not fit.
    Craftsman riders have 8" rims (at least all that I'm aware of.)
    Here are the available Carlisles (your recommended HDAPs and the AT 101bar) for the 8" rim (I'm surprised at how much the prices have changed in the 2 years since I bought. I'm sure that the AT101 was under $60, the other two were about the same):

All Trail
    [url]http://stopandgotires.com/modelsize.asp?ProductCode='510044'[/url ]
    Field Trax
    [url]http://stopandgotires.com/modelsize.asp?ProductCode='588389'[/url ]
    AT101
    [urhttp://stopandgotires.com/modelsize.asp?ProductCode='599044'l][/url ]

edit: cant get the links to work, sorry.

This post was edited by grass1950 on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 19:16

• User
    10 years ago

Grass, you marginalize yourself and do a fine job..

Craftsman, Scotts, Kubota GT, Wheelhorse Toro, and JD GT. Enough of an assortment for you? Carlisle AT101 & Tru-Power ags, HDAPs and turfs on all from time to time.

Carlisle All Trails and Field Trax sizes seem to cover most riders LTs, and GTs.

The OP has at least enough from this thread to seek out more varied experience from other users on this and other forums and can make a more informed decision and that was my intention.

• grass1950
    10 years ago

That was sarcasm and rhetorical, but I forgot who I was speaking to. Sorry.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living