Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cedarghost

Sheared flywheel key? Briggs 25 hp Intek

cedarghost
12 years ago

Thanks to you guys who have helped on my other threads concerning this motor.

For those of you unfamiliar, basically I replaced the sump gasket on a 445777-0168-e1 25 hp Intek Briggs. The only thing I took loose was the governor bracket. I left the heads and all that on.

Before I replaced the gasket, it ran fine. It just smoked and had a BAD oil leak. Now it doesn't want to run at full rpm. I mis-adjusted the valves and they were off causing way too much compression. So with the help of Mownie, I got them adjusted correctly. I then readjusted the governor and now it will start (not quickly) and won't go to full rpm. It feels like about 60% of max.

-I checked the plugs (they're firing)

-Checked the gas to the carburetor (no problems there)

-Pulled the carb and cleaned it (although I did not clean the valves in it other than spraying with carb cleaner).

-Double checked the valves, governor and armature air gap.

It acts like it is starving for fuel, however I put about a teaspoon of gas in each combustion chamber and put the plugs back in and it still took it a little bit to start firing (about 15 seconds).

Pulled the plugs at that point and one was a little wet and the other was dry.

I have pulled plugs to force it run on one cylinder and it will run on either, just really crappy.

It will sit there and run, just not very smooth and won't put out max rpm even with the throttle on high.

Anyone think it is possible I sheared the flywheel key when it had way too much compression after the first valve adjustment? I am running out of things to check. I also haven't checked the reed valve.

Tomorrow I plan to check the belts to make sure everything is on track, pull the flywheel to look at the key, clean the coils, check the diodes in the coil harness, check fire and gas again and do a compression test.

I don't think it lacks compression as it blows your finger off the spark plug hole when you turn it over, no matter how hard you hold your finger down.

Comments (3)

Sponsored