Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robertinfl_

riding mower start issue

RobertinFL.
9 years ago

First I'd like to say hi I'm knew here and thanks for having me
I have a 2001 craftsman model #536.270112 it's the 10HP 30" deck
Anyways It ran great and then last week the drive belt broke So I replaced it and it started and I ran it threw the motions to make sure everything was adjusted correctly
This week I turned the key and it just made a clicking sound from the solenoid thinking it must be bad sense the battery is a week old and fully charged I took it off and had the local mower shop test it guy said nothing wrong with it must be either yr key switch or one of you safety switches is bad So do any of you good people know of a way and don't mind walking me threw it of how to go threw and determain what unit has failed and if possible to just bypass the safety switches if in fact it is one of them and not the key switch??? Any help would be so very much appreciated
Thank you for your time and help
Robert

This post was edited by RobertinFL. on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 16:11

Comments (8)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

IF the solenoid is clicking, you don't have a safety switch issue.

Check ALL the battery connections including grounds. This includes engine mounting bolts to the frame.

Another possibility is a bad solenoid.
    Jump across the 2 large studs. IF it cranks, the solenoid is bad.

BTW- 536.720112 does not come up on the Sears website.

• rcbe
    9 years ago

robert - might consider removing that new battery again and taking it to a different shop that can LOAD test it...if such test was not performed in front of you last time.
    A percentage of small batteries for riding mowers are defective from the gitgo - always wise to have them LOAD tested even as you purchase them. Such a battery will hold a surface charge, but won't start squat.
    Also make sure your battery cable connection surfaces are cleaned to bright metal with sandpaper before being connected...

• RobertinFL.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Bill
    I'll have to put it back on and try that
    I was told by the guy at the lawn mower shop that it is not being energized and that's why he thinks it's a safety switch or key switch and I have a Battery charger that reads 100% at 13.1 so I don't think it could be the battery
    When I turned the key before I took the solenoid of if I did so a couple time the + wire from the battery to the solenoid got hot. I know I must sound stupid and I'm sure it's an easy thing to fix but electrical issues are just not my thing LOL

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

8 penlight batteries will generate 12V, but not have the capacity to crank your engine!

You might remove the spark plug (ground the lead) and see if the engine cranks.
    There is a possibility the carb is leaking through and hydrolocked the cylinder.
    Pull the dipstick and smell the oil for the presence of gasoline.

• RobertinFL.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Bill I rebuilt the carb a month ago and ride and have owned something like 17 M/C's and 11 quads over the years so carbs are like second nature to me and there is no gas in the oil I tried laying a screw driver over both the big post and nothing but sparks then tried contact on the + post and the small post orange wire post to the solenoid and it clicked with the key all the way over into the starting position with the clutch/brake all the way ingaged and locked so I guess the lawn mower shop was telling me the truth. So how can I check the safety switches and key switch? and how many safety switches would there be on this model?
    Just want to thank everyone again for your time and all your comments
    Rob

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Did it crank with the spark plug removed?

AGAIN- If the solenoid clicks with the key switch, it's NOT a key switch or safety switch issue! IF it was, it WOULDN'T click.

What are the results of the battery LOAD TEST.

OR you can just wander down your own path......

Your Sears number doesn't come up. Are you sure it's correct?

• RobertinFL.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bill this is the model# 536.270112 manufacture date is 01092 will this help you help me? and it has a tecuseh motor 10 hp

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

How can I help you when you don't answer any questions?

The model DID come up at Sears when I tried again.

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry