Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere 180 Clutch

Posted by Lucky711 48356 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 13:54

I just bought a 1988 John Dreere 180 tractor.
The problem I am having is with the clutch pedal completely depressed the tractor slowly moves forward or backward. I can shift gears without grinding.
It will stop if I hold down both the brake and clutch pedals.

Do I need to adjust the clutch?

Procedure? Diagram?

Do I have a different problem?

Thank You For Your Help...
John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere 180 Clutch

It does sound as though the belt is creeping some. If you had an assistant, you could verify this. There is a spec for the measurement on the spring, but basically you just need to bring in an idler a tad. A 180 will either have a small v idler near the drive pulley that is slotted in the frame or the rear one of the tandem pulleys on the tensioner arm. Perchance does the belt look new as if it was replaced? A number on the belt may tell you if it is proper.

o
RE: John Deere 180 Clutch

Thank you for the info... It has the tandem pulleys & the belt looks to be used but in good shape. I couldn't read any numbers.

o
Re: John Deere 180 Clutch

Thank you for the info... It has the tandem pulleys & the belt looks to be used but in good shape. I couldn't read any numbers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here