Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinch_me

choosing a riding mower

pinch_me
12 years ago

I've decided to get a riding mower for my two plus acres of pasture. I've looked at the cub cadet and Huskee at TSC. Looked at a John Deere L108 at the local dealer for more than it's worth; $1200. Read enough of a thread of the 108 on a tractor forum to scare me to death. Found threads on the other two. Huskee you get what you pay for. Cub cadet is not as wonderful as it used to be. so now I have no idea what to do. Green is not my favorite color and it's already 6 years old. I like the red one @ $1000 and the yellow one @ $1400. Or is there some other option?

Comments (13)

• bckskin2
    12 years ago

We had a Yardman for several years, Then a Husvarna GTH2546, now a JD X500. For just mowing that little Yardman was hard to beat. I'm thinking of getting a used Yard tractor just to mow. Leaving the heavy stuff to JDX500 & my New Holland TC30. I'm interested in the recommendations you get.
    Jerry

• twelvegauge
    12 years ago

Well, pinch, the TSC Huskee and Cub Cadet are both made by MTD. The Deere is by (drum roll) John Deere. Another player in the less-expensive lawn machines is Husqvarna (formerly Electrolux, AYP, and Roper). Husqvarna turns out Poulan, Ariens, and SOME Sears Craftsman - as well as selling under their own name. In the under-$1500 range, I believe that the Husqvarna products offer the most bang for the buck - that said, that assessment is merely one guy's opinion, but I suggest that you at least take a look.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks a lot, twelvegauge! First I didn't know about deciding among three and now I can look at a 4th. That $1500 price range is as high as I'll go. I have about 2 acres of pasture that I mow the rough places and in years like the past 3, when it rains every day, I mow a lot of it. I'm going to get a 3rd horse and hope they will keep up better and I won't need to mow so much. I suppose I will end up using it on the lawn but I fenced everything I could just so I wouldn't have to mow. That plan didn't pan out.

I spent some time reading reviews of the 3 I was considering and everyone has a story about the lawn mower from Hell. My son in law's brother had a Huskee and my son in law said don't get one of those. He'll be doing the maintenance so whatever he wants, that's what I will get. I am interested in many things, I know a lot about a few things. I don't care one way or the other about lawnmowers. Where is the key. Where does the gas go. Where is the dip stick. That's it. Everything else is up to him.

Here is a link that might be useful: an earlier thread

• twelvegauge
    12 years ago

Pinch - reference the info in the earlier thread: At the time that thread was written, Husqvarna (AYP, Electrolux, Roper) DID make Craftsman tractors, but that is not the case at this time. Husqvarna does make SOME of the Craftsman lawn tractors, and MTD makes others.

To determine, lift the tractor seat and look at the model number; there is a 3-digit number, followed by a dot and then the actual model number. If that 3-digit number is 917, it's a Husqvarna product; if it's a 2xx number (254, I think), then it was made by MTD.

By the way, MTD produces machines under a wide variety of names, including TroyBilt and Yardman.

In my earlier reply I stated a preference for the Husqvarna products (in the under $1500 range), but I certainly would not rule out the John Deere. I have a 15-year-old Deere STX (an entry-level machine) with a one-cylinder Kohler and a 5-speed transmission, and well over 1,000 hours of use, and it's still plugging away (don't get me wrong, I've repaired it many times, but not an unusual number for its age and running time.)

One big plus for John Deere is that they have a history of supply-supporting their equipment, long after production has ceased.

Keep in mind that lawn tractor manufacturers don't actually MAKE very much of each machine. The frames are generally about all. The engines, transmissions, switches, seats, batteries, wiring, wheels, tires, etc. are bought from suppliers. The tractor manufacturer mostly just assembles all these parts. Some do better assembly than others, some use better parts than others, and some provide better support.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, twelvegauge. Everything is like that. I have a Colt 2310 that doesn't have the mower deck and I pull an Acrease finish mower so no matter what I get it will be easier than that combo. It's a lot of money for keeping the rough places looking presentable.

The opportunity arose to go get one today so we did. My son in law will do all the maintenance and we chose the Cub by process of elimination. They sure don't make lawnmowers like they used to! Gas gauge and everything! Buttons and switches everywhere. Oh, for the days with On/Off. Forward/Reverse. I bet there are more gauges on this lawnmower than there are on my Ranger Pickup. Every mower had someone who had a catastrophe with theirs. You roll the dice and play the hand you're dealt. I've agonized for 3 years over even getting a new mower. It seemed like it was time to fish or cut bait. If I can spend less time getting ready to mow and then actually mowing, I'll be happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: acrease pull behind

• arceeguy
    12 years ago

JMHO, but if you are looking at the sub $1500 range in lawn tractors, buy one with a regular gearbox, not a hydrostatic drive. (if you can get a hydro at that price range) If you stick to just cutting grass, a basic machine will last a while if you take care of it. I have a 2002 Craftsman LT 1000 with a 17.5 Kohler Command single cylinder engine. It has over 750 hours on the clock, and hasn't been any trouble at all. I don't use it for anything but cutting the grass, and picking up leaves in the fall. (it probably gets most of its running time in the fall sucking up leaves every other day for a couple of months) No towing wagons loaded with dirt, or plowing snow with wheel weights. Just dragging around an aerator with 100 lbs or so of weight twice a year.

I was looking to upgrade to a new model with hydrostatic drive and an electric PTO, but decided to run the Craftsman until it dies.

Just look for a model with an engine that features a cast iron sleeve and full pressure lubrication with oil filter. These engines are rated to run a lot longer than the aluminum bore models. IMO, all of the lawn tractors in that price range are similar - regardless whether it's a Deere, Craftsman, Cub Cadet or whatever.

Good luck!

• twelvegauge
    12 years ago

Pinch, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with your new machine. With proper maintenance it can last a long time. Good luck.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Too late arceeguy.

Opportunity knocked and I ended up with this one http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_534205_33810_-1_600000_33810

I hope to get the south half mowed with it today. Got a bit of sunburn yesterday so kind of waiting for the sun to go away. And no rain! I'm sure I will find something I woulda/coulda/shoulda bought instead but here I am now with this one so that's all she wrote.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cub Cadet LTX 1040

• arceeguy
    12 years ago

Congrats on the new piece of equipment!

I checked out the link and they say that it uses a "CVT" transmission and not a hydrostatic transmission. Interesting.....I wonder if the CVT is more robust than the entry level hydrostatic transmissions? (or is CVT another way of saying hydro)

• User
    12 years ago

"I wonder if the CVT is more robust than the entry level hydrostatic transmissions?"

No it is not... CVTs are more problematic and a PITA to work on needing more frequent (expensive) belt changes than a manual or a hydrostatic.

Hydrostatics at any price range have proven to be reliable and a joy to operate IF they are not asked to do something that exceeds the design of the particular transmission.

If a hydrostatic is used for "cutting the grass, and picking up leaves in the fall. No towing wagons loaded with dirt or plowing snow with wheel weights" it will live a long and reliable life.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    12 years ago

arceeguy, you make me feel competent! My brain gets fried because I research everything until I don't want to buy anything. To see you guys questioning words and phrases is comforting. I print off every page when I'm researching and go through a ream of paper in the process. And in the end, I still don't know if I've made the right choice. Today was one of those times when I felt unprepared and not sure the Cub was a good idea but I've been procrastinating for 3 years. And wouldn't you know, the Colt and AcrEase worked perfectly on the first turn of the key last night. So I wondered if I should go ahead and shop on Saturday morning. UGH! I didn't get the south side done today after all so I don't really have an opinion on the Cub yet. It drove into the garage real nice though. I wonder how long it will take to be able to drive it without thinking about every move and looking to see where the knobs and levers are. The Colt was easy. It had my favorite options: On and Off. Forward and Reverse. I knew where the rear wheel could be before the pull behind was too close to something. If I put the pull behind on the Cub, I'll be a wreck for the first three times around. BUT just think how much time I'd save!

• kengilley
    11 years ago

My mower deck seems to have shifted clockwise to the point that I am hitting the deck wheels with the front wheels when I turn it. Any ideas or suggestions.

• mownie
    11 years ago

Do you know what brand of machine this is? Model number and serial number might would also be helpful.

Sponsored