Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buzzard_flats

Ariens 20 hp tractor (93604200)

buzzard_flats
13 years ago

Well my Ariens arrived yesterday (Home Depot $250 off 'bath' promo)

To my delight the Sears (Agri-Fab) front tractor scoop bolted right up, even though Ariens and Husqvarna both told me to ask the other one, and a call to Agri-Fab about adjusting it this morning I found they didn't know it fit the Ariens.

Oil fill was correct, not overfilled like I heard someone elses was, started right up and ran smooth.

So question one, looks like tubeless tires so I guess I can't liquid fill for weight as I had planned. The tires are 18-9.5-8 and I see two holes in the rim, any ideas where or what brand wheel weights fit? Ariens does not list any weights on their website.

Q-2, is it really harmful to run the motor at reduced throttle when manuvering around (not mowing) and using the scoop attachment?

Well off to see where I can tap the power for my LED strobes, yes they are bright leaves you with that flashbulb after vision if you look right at them up close.

Comments (12)

• rcbe
    13 years ago

if that rig has a hydro tranny, keep that engine speed up close to or at full throttle even just driving around. There's a fan right on top of the hydro - driven by the ground drive belt - and the hydro trannies need all the cooling they can get. Feather the ground speed controls instead.
    If it's a geared tranny, then not so important, even tho the engine mfgrs will often recomend keeping the RPM up. Chk yer unit's Engine manual for any details.

• mrtractor
    13 years ago

Buzz: I believe you will find Sears has wheel weights that should bolt right up just like your experience with the tractor scoop, that is why the holes are in the rim. With only 18" tires though it sounds like a fairly small machine. They are designed to handle chains and weights for snow, but dozing dirt is more along the lines of a GT sized job. LT transmissions are not tuned up for that. RCBE is on target with the throttle.

• velvetfoot
    13 years ago

I have the exact same machine (and the same deal!). I already got stuck on a hill, so I got some 30 lb wheel weights at my local Sears. They're not the quick release type, but that's what was in stock. You can check the stock on line, order and pick up at the store.

What I'd like is a nice ball and pin hitch combo that won't bend the flange.

• buzzard_flats
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I ordered some wheel weights from Husqvarna dealer, should be here in a few days, will post the P/N if they fit, they were a lot less than through Sears even with shipping.

By ball hitch do you mean something to move a small boat or other trailer with?

• buzzard_flats
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For anyone who cares:

Got the Husqvarna weights #954050501 weight set today, perfect match for the Ariens, $55.95 + 25 shipping.

• dmlopr
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the info, buzzard_flats. My tractor will be delivered on Monday, June 14th. I checked it out in person and then ordered online from HD, along with the Brinly 17 cu.ft. poly-cart, back on May 29. I even used the $250 Bath coupon. Unfortunately, UPS missplaced the hardware on the wagon so I can't put it together just yet. They even lost the axlerod. No worries though. The tractor will be here soon..
    Thanks again for your informative posts on the Ariens.
    Dave in CT

• buzzard_flats
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dave,

Thanks, hope you have a lot of good use out of yours also, so far as I have determined and including a look at the Husqvarna 20 hp at the dealer today they are almost identical, the hood of the Husqvarna sits higher and the battery seems to be lower allowing access to the ignition switch etc without removing the dash and steering wheel but other than that carbon copies.

Don't forget to sign up for the free blades for life thing, I already have a set on the way as I have chopped up a few rocks in one of my lots, they still look OK but it never hurts to have a spare on hand. FYI you can get a filter for the B&S motor @ NAPA Auto, still about $12 but it could be more local.

• dmlopr
    13 years ago

It's my first lawn tractor with a hydro tranny so I was sure to follow the book on what to do out of the box.
    At first, I had a bit of front tire to hood rubbing so I released a little more pressure from the fronts and now all is well. I'm glad I went for the hydro and the V twin.
    Now after showing her how easy it would be to drive, my wife wants to ride it. She laughed at the cup holder. I said, "never laugh at the size of a guys cup holder". lol

• sergeant
    13 years ago

Some of the Husqvran/AYP brands:
    Ariens Lawn & Yard Tractors
    Dixion Lawn and Garden tractors Husqvarna Is the Parent company of Dixion
    Some Craftsman Models
    Poluan equipment Husqvarna is the Parent company
    Jonsered Husqvarna is the Parent company
    Ryobi Lawn tractors sold at Home Depot
    Murray Tractors that are sold outside of U.S.
    BlueBird Equipment Husqvarna is the Parent company.
    So most attachments sold at Sears will fit your Ariens Tractor.

• jerseyjoea_aol_com
    13 years ago

does anyone know the part # for the oil filter?

• rockinroller
    11 years ago

Picked up an Ariens 46 with 20hp B&S from HD for under $1200 delivered, out the door. Best riding mower for the $$ out there as far as I am concerned. You can buy more "heavy duty", power and width for a lot more money but for me (1/2 acre fairly level terrain), this mower is all I will ever need.

I read reviews and have just left the Cub Cadet owner's camp with that POS and already am convinced this Ariens is several cuts above ('scuse the pun) the CC or anything else in the sub $1600 price point.

• rcbe
    11 years ago

good time to try this out: (Mownie, Revised)

Repost of Slammer's Buying Guide...

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger, given gate and storage door considerations. Work with reputable Dealers who can provide product choice assistance, product predelivery prep and aftersale service at competitve prices.

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability.

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle, save, or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Do not compromise! Dealer support after the sale is also important.

4. Understand your property and it's impact on your choice of equipment. Mowing slopes, obstacles, future landscape projects, winter use, etc. can all have a significant effect.

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right unit for the job. If you disregard this advice you may end up with one or the other of the following problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A teed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place.

Enjoy the experience!

Sponsored