Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a new Rider

Posted by skl727 z5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 15:46

Need to replace my old Murray 14.5 LT, bought it 4 years ago for $250 and it has finally died. I am only mowing 10,000 sq ft and have a limited budget. I was looking at the Snapper LT 130AWS, 23hp B&S ELS, 46" deck which was about $2400, then I saw an Allis Chalmers AC130 AWS, which had an identical parts write up for $1600. Am I crazy or are these the same machines with different color and badges? I was looking at the Snapper because I've owned a Snapper snow blower for 15 years and it always started on the first pull (even when I forgot the fuel stabilizer the previous year). I have looked at the Cubs and Deeres, but other than purchasing them at one of the "Boxes", seem to be priced way too high. Does anyone have the AC or Snapper for comment or review?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a new Rider

I believe both Snapper and AC are part of the Briggs and Stratton group, so I would expect very similar machines. That being said, you're right, they seem to have the same specs, but the AC is $700-800 less. I'd go take a look if you have nearby dealers and see what the story is. I assume when you say the Deeres are way too high, you're talking about the X300 series from the dealers. The D series start at $1500 on up. Need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples - not sure I'd put the Snapper or the AC in the same category as the Deere X300 series at $3K+. For a 1/4 acre worth of mowing, I'd think an entry level lawn tractor or rear engine rider would work OK for you. If you are willing to buy used and would spend $2K+, you might be able to pick up a lightly used Deere X300 with warranty left. Take care of it and might last you a life time with only 1/4 to take care of. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

o
RE: Need a new Rider

Thanks, but the rear engines are too tiny for me, (6'6", 300). At one time I would have put Allis Chalmers at or above JD, but now it is just a Brand Revival for Briggs. I was hoping that maybe Briggs was putting some effort into it's Yard Power division and was going to do the right thing. I was concerned that Briggs doesn't even list Allis Chalmers in it's brand lineup, but it is actually having it's distribution through Simplicity dealers. But I think at $1450 and $150 shipping (liftgate) it's something that is a better deal than the boxes or Sears. So, wish me luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here