Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BS 18HP Twin I/C won't run

Posted by rich123_grow (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 16:04

I have an older mower that will only start by either spraying starter fluid or gas in the carb, but does not stay started. Have check fuel line and gas is flowing to carb. Could this be a fuel pump issue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BS 18HP Twin I/C won't run

" Could this be a fuel pump issue?"

Could be - do not continually spray Starter Fluid in carb.

You can check this by rigging a temporary tank so that it will gravity feed into engine.

Check for cracks in the vacuum line running from the bottom of the fuel pump to the vacuum take off on the engine block.

Walt Conner

o

the information from Walt applies.
Here are a couple of additional ideas.

If the fuel line from a rear fuel tank has cracks, the engine fuel pump may be drawing in air. The areas with clamps should be examined.

If the mower has experienced outside storage, the fuel tank may have some water. Water may also be in the spare fuel can.

The 10% ethanol fuel runs ok when it is fresh, however, if it is stored a long time, the alcohol may separate from the gasoline and absorb water.

o

I find that often the main jet gets clogged on these carbs because the main jet feeds from the bottom of a well in the carb bowl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here