Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pickybiker_gw

Surprise after repairing the K46 transmission

PickyBiker
9 years ago

I just finished reassembling and installing my X300 transmission. It was very weak so I replaced the pump motor and power motor.

I was surprised to find the forward and reverse pedals working backwards (the forward pedal moves the tractor in reverse and the reverse pedal moves the tractor forward).

I have looked at the drawing of the transmission several times and I fail to see what I could have done to cause this.

The pedals can only go on one way. The drive belt is not twisted. I never removed the shift lever during the transmission repair.

Is there something I could have assembled wrong inside the K46 transmission?

Comments (15)

• User
    9 years ago

I vaguely remember reading a post where someone did the exact same thing on a K46. IIRC there's something in the trans that you installed backwards.

See attached picture and part #36 says "note orientation when installing". I think that's it but you can call Tuff-Torq tech support to be sure.

• PickyBiker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

justalurker... I think you nailed it. If that part went in upside-down it could change the direction.

That is better and faster help than I imagined I could get.

Thank you very much!

• User
    9 years ago

You are welcome.

• PickyBiker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

justalurker, I wanted to confirm that you were right. I took it apart again, reversed part #36, reassembled and re-installed....

That fixed it!

Once again, thank you for the very quick and accurate diagnosis.

• User
    9 years ago

Glad to help...

• vsirichardg
    8 years ago

Hi, Finished rebuilding my Husqvarna K-46 hydro. Was easy, seemed to be fine. Re-installed. Tractor goes backward. Did this a couple of times to see if I made a mistake. Took my John Deere K-46 and installed it - it also ran backwards which again, made me think I did something wrong. Just read on the forum that some K-46 need to have the wedge placed upside down to run correctly. I am going to try that. (Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of the inside of the trans. first.; just outside). I saw an advertisement about a video for sale regarding the K-46 rebuild and noted that his picture of his K-46 had the wedge, narrow side up. Maybe it IS possible that mine is upside down! Will try this, hoping that this is the fix. My repair skills are being challenged ! ha ha. Is it possible that John Deere has the wedge reversed from the Husqvarna although they are the same hydros ? Need some help here before I re-install for the third time.

• leafeanator
    8 years ago

Trust us - you need to reverse the Wedge and all will be well. Yes different makes have the wedge in different positions - all depends on how they run their linkages.

• vsirichardg
    8 years ago

Thanks Leafeanator. I trust by reversing, you mean upside down Thanks again. Will let you know what happens.

• leafeanator
    8 years ago

I haven't taken mine apart yet but doesn't the wedge part have a wear surface from the pump? If so it should indicate at least how one side goes in. All I have ever read is put it in 180 degrees different.?? Probably only fits 2 ways.

• vsirichardg
    8 years ago

It can go upside down, and the tabs are on both, top and bottom that allow it to set in place, but not simply turned around 180. The faces don't allow it on mine. I tried it upside down and it did fit correctly, but I didn't want to put it back together until I had some more input. I still don't see how it affects the forward -reverse but I'm going to try it.

• vsirichardg
    8 years ago

Leafeanator, I turned the wedge upside down and it works great. It appears the John Deere and Husqvarna's foot pedals are reversed. Not sure how the inverting works, but it does. Thanks again.

• leafeanator
    8 years ago

I think Tuff Torq calls it magic:)

• glenndlt160
    3 years ago

Going threw this now witch wedge 😱

• glenndlt160
    3 years ago

Thank you

Sponsored