Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
husqy yth 150 charging system

Posted by kinematic none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 16:17

hi all,

I have an older (1999 approx.) husqy yth 150 with a 15 hp kohler engine. its a little rough but my 4 yr old luvs driving it with me. we used it one day towing mulch in our new trailer. next day it would not turn over. I surmised it was a starter solenoid. So I went right to the starter with my 12v jump pack and it would not crank.

took the starter apart and two of the magnets were debonded. I rebonded them, reassembled and still starter would not work. putting that think back together was not work the $50 and am trying to figure how to get that two hours of my life back!

got a new starter off amazon. installed it and would not crank, so looks like a starter solenoid as surmised. Again I used my jump pack right to the starter and it cranked and fired up. I drove it about 50 ft and ran out of gas. go figure.
after fuel up, I used my jump pack to get it running again and now the charging system is not working and it will not stay running unless I am at full throttle, if I let out the clutch it will die. the battery is essentially dead so I hooked my jump pack up to the battery thinking that would keep it running but it does not as.

I have a new solenoid on order and hope that will fix the starter issues but I am wondering the components of the
charging system and where they reside.

The fuse in the wiring harness is good. I did have to put a new connector on that wire as it "fell" off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: husqy yth 150 charging system

Most likely you have a dead/bad battery and until that is taken care of, you are very possibly throwing away money.on a new solenoid etc.

Most likely, that tractor only has a 3 AMP charging system.
It would take 10-12 hours of high speed running to fully charge a good but fully discharged battery.

Get the battery charged and LOAD tested first.

Your current battery is so low, it's basically "sucking" everything the alternator is putting out. Slow speed and you don't have enough power to supply the carb fuel solenoid and it drops out.

A quick test- When running at high speed, do the headlights work?
IF they do, the charging system is MOST likely OK.
The lights operate of a separate AC lighting circuit and only work when running.

o

hi bill,

thanks for the reply. whats odd is the the machine ran even when the battery was dead. it would require a jump if it sat for a few weeks. it was after the last jump that it stopped working. reason I say its not working is because the ammeter is not showing that it is charging.

I will check the headlights as you mention I think it runs off a magneto that also charges the battery?

o

The magneto generates spark for the plugs. Just like in a walk behind lawn mower.
The alternator produces power to charge the battery (through a diode to give a pulsating DC) and a separate winding without a diode to produce AC for the lights. Lights don't care if it's AC or DC.

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 22:45

o

hi bill,

its all fixed! all along it was the starter solenoid. It had me fooled cuz when I turn the key to start, you could hear it click like the solenoid was closing. I bench tested it an the coil had continuity but when actuated, it was not closing the loop between the battery and the stater cable. I put in a new start solenoid and she cranked over AND it fixed the charging problem.
thanks for all your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here