Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kinematic

husqy yth 150 charging system

kinematic
9 years ago

hi all,

I have an older (1999 approx.) husqy yth 150 with a 15 hp kohler engine. its a little rough but my 4 yr old luvs driving it with me. we used it one day towing mulch in our new trailer. next day it would not turn over. I surmised it was a starter solenoid. So I went right to the starter with my 12v jump pack and it would not crank.

took the starter apart and two of the magnets were debonded. I rebonded them, reassembled and still starter would not work. putting that think back together was not work the $50 and am trying to figure how to get that two hours of my life back!

got a new starter off amazon. installed it and would not crank, so looks like a starter solenoid as surmised. Again I used my jump pack right to the starter and it cranked and fired up. I drove it about 50 ft and ran out of gas. go figure.
after fuel up, I used my jump pack to get it running again and now the charging system is not working and it will not stay running unless I am at full throttle, if I let out the clutch it will die. the battery is essentially dead so I hooked my jump pack up to the battery thinking that would keep it running but it does not as.

I have a new solenoid on order and hope that will fix the starter issues but I am wondering the components of the
charging system and where they reside.

The fuse in the wiring harness is good. I did have to put a new connector on that wire as it "fell" off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions