Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritepath

Best big box 48-54' mower

ritepath
12 years ago

I know this has been posted many times over...

I'm looking for a basic cheap mower for a 1-1.5 acre (flat) yard. To say the least I'm not overly impressed with the cheap-o tractors in my 2-2.8k price range, but one of the models will have to do.

I've looked at the CUBs (MTD?)

The Craftsman (huskys/AYP?)

The Husqvarna's (AYP?)

And the plastic fantastic JD's at Lowes

I'm kinda leaning toward the cub SLTX 1054 but not so sure about the frame.

I got a lot of use out of my 7yo craftsman (bought when I owned a smaller place), it was nice in the fact parts were cheap. I'd spend 100-150 bucks a year on parts and never be down more than a few days. I'm going to buy a connecting rod and fix it again but it's time to move on to something larger.

I know these cheaper mowers will require parts so price and ease of ordering would be a plus.

If only my budget was closer to 10k. LOL

Comments (10)

• ritepath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

" not '

• User
    12 years ago

Best bet is to buy a Sears Craftsman GARDEN tractor when it's on sale @ around $2500-$2600. A much smarter choice and more competent than any in your list.

You've had a good experience with Sears products and parts availability.

Any of the lawn tractors that interest you will be a big disappointment.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

The 917 Craftsman and Husqvarna I think are a better bet. Parts availability, pricing and ease of service -they have the edge over the MTD. You won't have a frame issue on any of these.

• User
    12 years ago

Yea, I meant to say the 917 class Sears garden tractor... not the MTD.

• twelvegauge
    12 years ago

Of the four you named, my personal opinion is that the Husqvarna and/or the Craftsman (as long as it's made by Husqvarna - i.e. the digits 917 preceding the model number) are your best candidates. Be aware that the TuffTorq K46 hydro is not set up to be readily serviceable. If Sears or Husqvarna offers one in your size range with a gear-drive transmission, that's what I would go with. Not as convenient as the hydro, but likely to last much longer. No matter what you buy, religiously perform ALL of the routine maintenance specified in the owner's manual.

• User
    12 years ago

Craftsman GARDEN tractors in the 917 class have either a Hydrogear or TT ground engaging GARDEN tractor transaxle.

There is a Husqvarna that has "GT" in it's model number that is NOT a true GT and does have a TT k46 lawn tractor transaxle. That model should be avoided.

A good rule of thumb on Sears tractors is IF the rear wheels are 12" with 23" or 24" tires and held on by 5 lug bolts and not a clip then you won't get a lawn tractor transaxle.

Hydrostatic transaxles have proven to be very reliable when operated within their design parameters and make mowing and snow blowing a lot easier and quicker than with a standard gearbox.

• ritepath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do like the 7.5mph mowing speed on the craftsman ya'll have turned me on to.

We have a real cub dealer just 5 miles from my house but I'd have to sell the Jeep to buy one.

I already have a snowblower...LOL

• User
    12 years ago

A real Cub Cadet would be a big step up from the $3000 Craftsman garden tractor but it would be an expensive step.

Once you blow snow sitting on a tractor you'll NEVER walk behind again.

Do some shopping and let us know what you find.

• ritepath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well after much debate, I decided to downsize to a 46" Cub from an actual cub dealer. Sure it's still a 1000 series but hey....I did get the Kawasaki powered one.

I don't know if it means anything but I do feel better after talking with an actual dealer vs the sales persons at Lowes and Tractor Supply.

Now if the grass would just grow enough to mow...I have 3hrs on it so far.

• User
    12 years ago

If you've got a good local dealer that's a lot of the battle regardless of brand.

Keep the oil and air clean and it should last you quite a while.

Let us know if the grass grows...

Sponsored