Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjr74

Husqvarna YTH2348 rides very slow

sjr74
16 years ago

After doing a lot of research & reading the feedback on this forum, I purchased a Husqvarna YTH2348 from Lowes. It seemed like one of the best mowers in that price range.

After receiving the mower, I found that it ran very slow going forward. In fact it went faster in reverse than it did going forward. At first the repair shop said there was nothing wrong with it - that it just ran that way. I argued with them that it should drive over twice as fast going forward, they called back saying that they had ordered what I believe is a new rod pedal control.

I searched all over the internet but couldn't find anything mentioning this problem. I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this type of issue before.

I really like the mower and the reviews on it, but this situation is really bothering me. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments (46)

• morencyj_gmail_com
    16 years ago

I just bought one today, its being delivered this afternoon. I'll let you know about mine!

• presmudjo
    16 years ago

So how do these machines go? Are they slower than expected or what? Thinking of buying a similar Husqvarna model and am curious.

• needstractor
    16 years ago

I can't comment on the others, but my YTH2348 runs just fine. The spec sheet says the top speed is about 5.5 mph, and that feels about right from the seat. That seems to be about the standard forward speed for tractors of this class.

• dfpmonroe
    16 years ago

I have enjoyed my new Husqvarna YTH20K46 for the last two months and it moves along just fine in forward or reverse. Just have 10 hrs. on it right now, been very dry here this year, but everything is going good with the mower and I am really enjoying useing it. It is a big upgrade from what I had.

• morencyj
    16 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to post my followup. I recieved my YTH2348, no slowness issues here. I added the mulch kit the other day, haven't tried it yet (its been rainy). My last mow was some thick, tall grass and it performed like a champ!

• dave27
    16 years ago

I've been researching new mowers to replace my dear departed Craftsman. I read your inital message about your troubles with your Husqvarna, but after reviewing many of the the new mowers I bought a 2348 anyway. Hauled it home yesterday and set it up. This afternoon I mowed with it for the first time.

Guess what - slow in forward movement, a lot faster in reverse. Damndest thing I've seen.

I've been studying the owners manual to get smart on the drive train. did the shop say exactly what they repaired/replaced on yours?

Thanks for the help.

• n4moe
    16 years ago

I own the YTH-2148 and it goes really fast in forward but somewhat slowly (as expected) in reverse. The mower should move at a pretty crisp clip in forward. Sounds like something is wrong to me but I don't know what it could be. Good luck and keep us posted!

• tekumcman
    16 years ago

If equipped with a Peerless 2000-006A....take to repair
    shop for warranty inspection. The pump module could be
    a problem and would be a warrantable repair/replacement
    for the Authorized Dealer to do.

T-Man

• loadder
    16 years ago

i found a yth2348 with 71 hours on it at pawn shop, they wanted 1899.00, i got it out the door for 1081.00, works just fine, but does seem to move a little faster in reverse..so has anyone fixed theirs, and what did you do, i am going to check for the peerless 2000-006a, what the heck ever that is, a little explanation for what i am looking for would be nice, anyways, great mower so far, i mow 2.5 acres in about 2.5 hours, so i guess it aint that slow, anyone pull reel mowers or other mowers at the same time, i am thinking of getting 2 cheap push mowers and pull them behind the rider ?? what you think

loadder
    2.5 acres canton tx

• gary65270
    15 years ago

Any more uptodate info on this? I bought one yesterday that does the same thing.

• itybitybob
    15 years ago

Jeeze, Mine goes fast enough in forward that my wife askes me to slow down. I would bet its the advertised 5 mph. I just mowed yesterday and used both forward and reverse with no problem. I haven't tryed to see how fast it will go in reverse but I only back as fast as I feel comfortable with. I wonder if something isn't hooked up backwards? Rod in wrong hole or something as simple as that.

• windcatcher
    15 years ago

Many lawn/garden tractors have similar adjustments to the hydrostatic transmissions. On my Simplicity, I followed the rod connecting the forward pedal back to the transmission. That rod has an elongated slot in it, held in place by a 1/2" nut. To adjust, I had to remove the right side tire, loosen the 1/2" nut, and adjust by eye where the stop hit on the side of the case. Too much in one direction gave tremendous forward speed, and little to no reverse speed. Too much in the other direction gave me neck whipping reverse, and NO forward at all. This might be something ya'll can check into.

• sokkernut
    15 years ago

Any new word on this problem. I have the same tractor. It is about 1 year old and has never seemed to run as fast in forward as reverse. I removed the wheel and there is no adjustment that I can see. It has also now got to where if going up any incline at all it does not have the power to go up it. Getting VERY frustated!

• itybitybob
    15 years ago

It quit raining so I finaly checked mine and it goes faster forward than in reverse. It appears to me that the reverse speed is a little faster than I am comfortable with but forward is still faster. Have you checked with the shop? Good luck

• sokkernut
    15 years ago

Any new info on this problem? I had the service guy come out and he gave me some B.S. story about how all are a little different, yada yada yada. Mine also from time to time has no drive power at all! Is there some module or something they need to replace?

• lawnninja1776
    15 years ago

Husqvarna doesn't put adjustments on their tractors to save money. There is just too much variation in the hydrostatic transmission and the husqvarna chassis to make "one size fits all" control rod, however thats what you have. What transaxle does it have? There will be a sticker under the seat with either hydro-gear or tuff torq on it. Its more than likely the linkage and not the hydro either way. you may have to get creative with the linkage (lengthening or shortening) to get it right. you get what you pay for, that is doubly true for lawn and garden tractors

• cagm
    15 years ago

Good luck to all of you. Same problem with mine. Brought mine to 3 shops. Noone could figure out the problem. Threw it out, out of pure fustration. Been in the market for a new mower for over a year now but hesitant to jump in based on the last experience.

• sokkernut
    15 years ago

Mine is still under warranty. I am having them come back out tomorrow. I am expecting to get into it with the repair guy because it is B.S. that they are like this and it will be fixed or they can give me another one.

• sokkernut
    15 years ago

Update: Different repair guy came out yesterday, tried several things to get it to run correctly and could'nt.
    He ordered a new transmission and set up an appointment to install it in a couple of weeks. I was relieved that this one had some common sense unlike the last one. I will post again in a couple of weeks to let you know if the new transmission fixed the problem.

• lawnninja1776
    15 years ago

can you let us know what transaxle you have?

• sokkernut
    15 years ago

Update...The repair guy was back out today to install the new transmission. It did need one, but that did not fix the forward speed problem. At first he was like just try it awhile and see. I almost lost it. I told him there was no way I was going to do that. When he saw that I was getting very angry about this entire ordeal, he showed me something that just might be the problem. The rod that the forward and reverse pedals ride on has more reverse travel before hitting the limit stops. It is welded and not adjustable. He said that he would order another one because depending on where the weld is makes abig difference. I could visually see what he was talkng about. I think that I can do a little notching of the forward stop and get more pedal travel. I am going to give it a try.

• realtiques
    15 years ago

I've just discovered I must have the same kind of problem you have. Were you able to "notch" the stop so it would extend farther? Or was anyone able to do anything with the linkage to help the problem? If you were able to notch it and it helped, how did you get to the stop to notch it?

• davegus_bellsouth_net
    14 years ago

While my 2348 doesn't go as fast as I would have expected, it's fast enough for my needs, and the difference between forward and reverse speeds is appropriate. On another note, after 17 hours of use, the bracket that holds the middle blade on the deck sheered off while engaging the blade. Once I got the bracket out, it was clear that 2 of the bracket cross members broke some time ago, and the other 2 just broke. Not sure why this would happen when cutting level bermuda sod. Not happy.

• anemo27
    14 years ago

Just bought a new (2009 on the boiler plate) yth23v48 and so far no problem with forward/reverse speeds. I'll re-post when the grass starts to grow here in upstate NY and I have some hours on it! Mine has the Tuff-Torq hydrostatic. In ref to the welding of the pedal on the shaft, I can't speak for the tractor itself but I also purchased the 48" triple bagger attachment and out of the box the welds (4 places) on the mount had been broken somewhere in transit! It says it was 'assembled in Georgia' so I assume that means welded there too. I sure hope the tractor itself was put together better than that! (Lowe's made good on replacing it) I can't wait to do some mowing with it!

• mt22657
    12 years ago

Last fall I pulled the 2348 into the shed and all was well. Sta-Bil in the gas, Battery Tender hooked up, etc. Yesterday I disconnected the transmission, rolled it outside and it started right up. Pushed the lever back in to re-engage the trans, hit the pedal and nothing. Won't move forward or reverse, doesn't even make noise. Any ideas?

• mownie
    12 years ago

You need to check the lever (or a plunger) where the free wheel linkage finally reaches the transmission to see if perhaps the movement of the linkage (when you try to re-engage the lever) is not actually pushing the lever/plunger far enough to make it move into reach of the detent position.
    Sometimes this happens because a section of linkage has bent.
    Sometimes this can occur if pivoting locations (with pins) have become elongated from vibration wearing of the pivot parts.
    And sometimes...........the free wheel valve lever itself might get "sticky" and fail to move completely back into the detent position for "drive mode".
    In that last case scenario, a liberal spraying of WD-40 (or similar) on the lever/plunger where it emerges from the trans........and some push-in/pull out action of the linkage knob may get things into shape.

Also, if this is the first use this season and the unit was stored in the free wheel mode, refer to your owner's manual to the "purge trans" procedure. Long term storage in free wheel mode sometimes allows the hydro oil to drain out of the pump and motor sections inside the trans. If you fail to perform a purge trans procedure before using after long term storage, the air in the pump and motor will prevent operation of the trans.

If it seems there is nothing wrong with the linkage, check to make certain the trans belt has not jumped off (or broken) and if all that is good, do a purge of trans.

• mt22657
    12 years ago

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I fugure it has to be something simple as things don't just break just sitting still. At least I hope they don't!

• exffpm
    12 years ago

Have any of you having trouble with your mowers checked to see which transmission you have (placard under seat?). The reviews/forums on the "Tuff Torq K46" as well as the "Hydro-Gear EZT" which are used in almost all lawn tractors in your price range are very disturbing! The complaints of MANY owners are identical to yours. I am seriously considering purchasing a manual transmission lawn tractor after reading them. JMHO.

• glynn
    12 years ago

I am helping a neighbor that owns the Husqvarna YTH2348 with the same "loss of drive" problem. We installed a new drive belt today, but it didn't fix the problem. If you remove the right rear wheel, you can get a better look at the transmission and see a small square headed bolt with a 11/16" lock nut on it. It looks like an adjustment screw or maybe a purge port. We adjusted it in and then out, with little or no effect. Did any of you ever resolve your slow or loss of drive problem? Thanks

• rager_w
    12 years ago

I have read where some folks have changed the fluid which seems to help. Changing the fluid requires removal of the unit though.

• 1Reverend
    10 years ago

reference to faster in reverse - I found the foreward pedal linkage hits the frame on the right side behind the engine and under the battery. The black frame sticks out toward the pedal 3/16" past the orange body. On my machine, I ground a notch in the black all the way to the orange. checked for clearance and ground a little into the orange. Now the machine runs about right in foreward. I had the machine torn apart and used a grinder, but this could be done with a dremel tool.
    PS - the dealers and repair shop, and Husqvarna customer service have been blowing smoke up my butt since 7/07 on this issue. It works great now. Good luck

• Lee1982
    9 years ago

Ok im a mechanic at a mower shop I had a Husqvarna come in with the same slow problem many of you are describing the problem is not with the transmission it is with the control rod tht links the forward and reverse pedals to the transmission there is a bend at the front of4 the control rod and if you are having this problem yours is not bent enough if u will Increase the amount of bend it will solve all of your problems

• smewr
    9 years ago

I've got a 2348 also, and mine was getting slower in forward also.... acted like the hydrostatic drive was slipping or something.... I checked the "troubleshooting" list in my manual (page 28) "loss of drive", and the second item, "DEBRIS ON STEERING PLATE" was the problem.... 4 years worth of PACKED grass clippings hiding on top of the plate..... this is the area where the drive belt passes thru also, so the packed dried grass was the problem.... dug out all the grass with a wire and then got out the compressor and blasted the small stuff out..... fixed the problem.... I would not "bend the rod" to try to fix this problem...

• tonydouget
    8 years ago

Guys, I had my YTH 2042 going slower, with loss of power for a few weeks. I changed the drive belt and nothing changed. I read the "smewr" post above this one about "debris on steering plate", and figured what the heck, I will give this a shot. Well guys, this worked!!. I dropped the deck and moved it away from the mower, and had to use a screwdriver to break up grass, dirt, ect. that had been accumulating for years. I used an air blower to blow out as much as I could. I put the deck back on and Voila, my mower ran faster and had its power back. I could not believe that dirt and grass could give me the problems it gave me. Try this fix before anything else. it worked for me.

• James VanOstran
    8 years ago

I have a yth2448 and transaxle makes grinding noise. Cannot find a peerless h2000 006a transaxle to replace it with but do have a hydrogear 150071

Will it work?

• jrbaldridge79
    8 years ago

On the YTH2348 slow forward fast reverse I bent the linkage at the foot control several times till I was satisfied with forward speed ! Now is quite a bit faster forward than in reverse ! Took several minutes.

• dchobbs2004
    8 years ago

7/5/2015 I have owned two Husqvarna YTH2348 since 2008 the first one threw a rod at less than 500 hours the second one spun a rod at less than 500 hours so I put new engines on both and gave the oldest one away explaining it was a Husqvarna and not to expect to much from it the second one 40 hours after the engine has lost the transaxle so if you are financially able and all you do is ride the mower Husqvarna will probably get you by but if you mower like I do two acres and do my own service and service they are not quality and after 40 years Wheelhorse was the last quality mower in the affordable range until you get to upper grade John Deere and Kaboda

• David Satcher
    6 years ago

I ran across this discussion while searching for info on how to speed UP reverse (forward is fine) on my 2012 YT48XLS Husqvarna mower. It has the K46 transaxle in which I changed the fluid last week (Castrol 5W50 synthetic). I bought the mower with a smoking engine, worn out front wheel bushings, stretched belts, etc. The man I bought it from owns 19 acres and mows over half of it! He told me that the hour meter turned over at 1000 hours, and it had 489.1 showing when I got it 3 weeks ago. He said that he or his son mowed 2 hours daily Monday thru Saturday. BS or not,??? Who knows?

I put in new rings, head gaskets, 1 push rod, (bent), and re-lapped the valves. Also new wheel bearings (not bushings) and belts. Very smooth and fast enough in forward but slowwwwww in reverse with diminished pulling power.

Any definite consensus on the fix?

• Jeff Redefer
    5 years ago

I'm intrigued by the idea that the steering plate could play a role in making the mower drive slow or not at all. Could someone explain to me how steering plays a role in this?

• David Satcher
    5 years ago

The heel pedal wasn't being pushed far enough down to gain speed in reverse. I removed the rubber heel pad., drilled a hole about halfway between the bottom position of the heel pad (in the steel part) and the top of it. I screwed a bolt into this hole and reinstalled the rubber pad. Now the reverse pedal is being pushed farther down, and the mower is about as fast in reverse as in forward.

• Melody White
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Since there are some recent comments on this old post, I thought I’d throw in my two cents. We own a Husqvarna and have been having acceleration problems. This year we went to start it, and it did not move at all. Started, but would not move. After some googling, found out there is maintenance on the transmission that should be done on new mowers and anytime they sit for an extended period. Google purge transmission Husqvarna and you will find the directions on how to do it. We went thru this procedure about four times, and it finally started engaging again. That was after a $1200 quote from a mechanic to fix it, i.e. replace the transmission. It now mows, just doesn’t go as quickly as I would like. Next we’re going to investigate the steering plate, and the gas filter, and my guess is we will be in good shape. Good luck! Hope this helps someone.

• Matt Harber
    4 years ago

I've had a YTH21K46 for 8 years now, and recently ran into a similar issue with the forward drive being slow while the reverse seemed normal speed. Replaced drive belt, no go (although thats the first time I'd replaced it since purchase). Bent foot pedal linkage rod a little more which helped, but is not a real fix in my opinion, unless somehow it were to become straightened during operation at some point. Purged transmission per Husqvarna website like the last gentleman said, no go. Turns out that after removing the rear tires, I noticed the poorly done welds had broken between the frame and the rear housing, thus physically altering the location of the transmission/rear axle. I believe the weight of a bagger assembly is a contributing factor to this, as the weight shifting during stop/go operation places a larger load across these welds. I fixed the welds and fixed the issue. Then had to "unbend" the linkage rod back to original form as I was going too fast forward. Hope this helps.

• Wayne Swineford
    3 years ago

I bought the Husqvarna TS354D and ran fine for the first 30 hours and then suddenly the ground speed was real slow. Looked all over the internet and tried all the suggestions and no improvement. Jacked it up today took of the right rear wheel and checked the linkage. The shaft coming out of the transmission has a collar on it to link it to the foot pedal. The roll pin through the shaft had slipped out about 3\4 of an inch and was hitting a bolt stopping the travel before maximin speed. Drove the roll pin back in to where there is about 1/8 inch on each side of the collar. Put the wheel back on and high speed is normal. Don't let anyone tell you that slow is normal. If it is slow there is some issue. By the way, this is a great mower. Best garden tractor on the market today.!

• Brian Joreski
    3 years ago

I have the same issue with my new Husqvarna zero turn mower from Lowes.

• Richard Davis
    3 years ago

Air needs to be bled from the transmission I think that will help.google it it's recommended in the spec manuals that come with the mower. And they explam how to do it

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio