Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scag Freedom Z 52' vs John Deere EZtrak Z445 54'

Posted by deigo (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 16:57

Hello, Im looking at purchasing a new zero turn mower. I have it narrowed down to Scag Freedom Z 52" deck with 26 hp Briggs vs John Deere EZtrak Z445 54" with 25hp Kawasaki. Does anyone have any expierience as to why one maybe a better purchase than the other? perhaps something technical that makes one stand out above the other?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scag Freedom Z 52' vs John Deere EZtrak Z445 54'

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 19:51

John Deere / Scag differences:
- separate Kanzaki pump/Parker gear motors on JD vs integrated design on Scag - plus JD

- Std. Kawasaki engine on JD vs Briggs on Scag, although a 19HP Kaw is available on the Scag for a few hundred more - plus JD

- John Deere nation wide service/parts inventory support - plus JD (IMO)

- Scag has a ROPS as standard - plus Scag (important if you have significant slopes)

Looks to me like most all the other important items are pretty much the same between the two, even deck steel gauge and deck lift/adjustment system. Which surprises me because I would have thought the Scag would have a heavier fabricated deck for that price. Maybe someone else can shed some light on differences.

o
Scag Freedom Z 52' Specifications

The Scag Freedom Z 52' gets so very good reviews. I like larso1 I would opp for the 19hp Kawasaki over the Briggs 26.

26 Briggs ELS
Displacement 724 cc
Maximum Torque 33 ft. lbs. @ 2600 RPM
Dry Weight 80.0 lbs

19 HP Kawi
Displacement 585cc
Maximum Torque 36.6 ft. lbs @ 2000 rpm
Dry Weight 71.2 lbs

as you can see the 19hp Kawasaki has more Torque than the 26 Briggs ELS. So the 7 more hp doesn't help out that much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scag Freedom Z 52'

o
John Deere EZtrak Z445 54' Specifications

There's a lot to like about the Z445.

ROPS are over rated in my book due to the fact they do look cool, and if you need roll over protection is a must have. But in my case ROPS would just be in the way getting hung up on every tree I own. I don't have ant roll over situations on my place. Nor do I plan to ever be in a roll over situation.

Out side the engine choices I would have to demo both mowers to see which mower felt better to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Deere EZtrak Z445 54' Specifications

o
25hp Kawasaki Specifications

Seems the 25hp Kawasaki is a hardy engine it's self.

Maximum Torque 41.3 ft. lbs. @ 2400 rpm

Here is a link that might be useful: 25hp Kawasaki Specifications

o

Scag with the Kawasaki.I use to help make them.Metalcraft Inc. in Mayville Wi.

o

Thanks for the follow up guys. I hadn't noticed the torque differentials that you had mentioned.

So the pump difference is better because its not integrated on John Deere.... Is this for future replacement purposes better or just a better setup in general?

Scag has a lot of points about things not needing maintenance (grasse) etc, anyone see any benefits here? or is it so simplistic John Deere doesnt say anything about it?

Thanks again for you help.

o

There's a lot to like about both of those mowers.

I haven't read many reports about the Scag transaxles being a bad choice. As far a sealed bearings, I like them. I feel like the Scag spindles might be stronger and easier to maintenance. Just take the center bolt out, push out the bearings, push new ones in. That's how just about all commercial mowers are now days. Fast, cheap, and easy to repair and replace. I don't think either mower have very many grease points if any.

I feel the Scag has a stronger frame and deck. But hey! I still like that Deere.

I was there once looking at both mowers a year ago. I like them both then. I think the Scag will cost more out the door. But I think it'll cost more maintaining the Deere.

Heck! What do I know??? I didn't buy either one of them. I bought a Bad Boy Pup instead. I've never met a mower I couldn't like, as long as it was mowing!!

You need to go look at them. Sit on em. Look all around them, and underneath them. Get the dealer to let you drive each one around on grass mowing. One has to catch your eye more some than the other.

Flip a coin, Deere
Flip a coin, Scag
Flip a coin, Deere
Flip a coin, Scag

It never stops until you get the one you just have to have.

Both are good Mowers!

ms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here