Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ollieduke

plastic fan

ollieduke
12 years ago

Have a new cub mower,48" cut with hydrostatic drive with 50 hours on it and this morning it moved about 50 feet and stopped. Raised seat and noticed a plastic fan broke loose with belt belt marking on the bottom of it.(at first glance,I thought the fan was part of the drive belt pulley). Since its under warranty,I called the service center(luckily only 4 miles from me)and they were there to pick it up in 15 minutes,so didn't get a chance to look the problem over good,but the service man called and said the drive belt jumped out of the pulley and broke the plastic fan off. Have you'll heard of this problem and is it going to be an on going problem?

Since I got the extended warranty,I figured it would always take 2 weeks to fix,so I kept my old Husky working by starting it every week. Cut the grass today and had forgot it wouldn't start when hot,so after trying to start it for 10 minutes,remembered you have to ground one spark plug to get it to start when hot,starts normal when cold.(young men don't laugh at me for forgetting,as your time is coming with age)

You might remember about a year ago I brought this problem to the board and we never figured out why one of the plugs had to be grounded when hot. (I had replaced the dual coil and the new one acted the same as the old one) Does anybody now have an idea why grounding the plug starts it every time.

Comments (11)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

#1 Shouldn't be a problem. At least the common hydro belt (954-0461)stays under tension and has to wear/ chunk badly before they go away. #2 One would think that temporarily grounding the plug would either give a cylinder w/ lower compression or a leaner feed a chance to build a bit more fuel to fire or that somehow the absolute ground rather than an arc may allow an ailing coil to fail. Admittedly a reach on both!

• ollieduke
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The man at the shop said the belt came off and broke the fan,bothers me that a new belt on a new mower would come off. Wish they wouldn't have gotten here so fast,so I could have looked at it better.
    The absolute ground sounds about right,as it has no fire at all when hot and trying to start it,but as long as its running,it runs ok no matter how hot it gets. I thought maybe by grounding it,that helps somehow to excite the coil. The weird thing is,it has been doing this for the last 2 or 3 years and has gotten no better or no worse.
    Thanks for come back.

• ollieduke
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Things have changed on the old mower,now I have to ground one plug for it to start cold or hot. Wish I knew what the problem was,as eventually it will probably not start at all. Will check to make sure switch is grounded.

• ollieduke
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Things have changed on the old mower,now I have to ground one plug for it to start cold or hot. Wish I knew what the problem was,as eventually it will probably not start at all. Will check to make sure switch is grounded.

• mownie
    12 years ago

Have you ever tried putting a shot of carb cleaner (NOT ETHER) into the carb before you try cranking?
    I can't get my mind around why grounding one plug would increase the start-ability of the engine of the engine unless it somehow caused the cylinder to richen (more fuel present) while the plug was grounded.
    If I remember, this engine was an opposed twin (correct me if I'm wrong).
    The coil on those engines fires both plug wires simultaneously......so grounding one plug wire would/should effectively ground both plug wires and stop all sparking until the plug was ungrounded, at which point spark would resume.
    If this is the case, you may have a carb that is too lean, or the choke is not closing completely enough.....for good starting capability.
    The shot of carb spray could help determine if your carb is too lean for reliable starts.
    It takes more fuel in the ratio to start an engine than to run at idle (especially if the engine is stone cold).
    I don't know what you mean about checking the switch ground.
    Care to expand on that notion?

• earthworm
    12 years ago

I'd say that there is a breakdown in the electrics due to heat and vibration.
    The carb spray is a good diagnostic method.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

I had an odd one w/ an op twin the other day. It would absolutely not start cold. The float was set a smidgen below level. Once it was set a tad above level it would start on its own. 120 # on each side....

• ollieduke
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got my Cub back and the mechanic said,it looked like a piece of a stick got thrown up in the belt and threw it off and then the belt was rubbing on the plastic fan and broke it off. Do have a lot of small sticks as have a lot of trees.
    On the Husky,it is not the carburetor,as I used to try the ether before I discovered it had no fire. Not sure its an opposed twin,as the plugs dont look that far apart. Remember when I try to start it,there is no fire to either plug. Then I ground either plug,usually the right one and it starts and runs on the one cylinder,then I remove the ground on the grounded plug and it runs on both. Hard to believe the new coil is also bad,as it acts the same as the old one. I found this by accident,as I was checking for fire on one of the plugs by holding the wire about 1/8 inch from ground and found no spark,but accidentally grounded the plug and the silly thing started. The engine runs good and has plenty of power,and has the automatic transmission(variable pulley) Think I like the automatic better than the-moaning and groaning hydrostatic,which I could always fix with a new belt,but all the newer bigger ones have the hydro.
    Thanks for the come back,so will start using my new Cub again and still start the old Husky once a week(and try not to get shocked while removing the ground wire from the plug) and if anything changes,will let you know.

• esemilio
    12 years ago

The coil is not producing high enough voltage to jump both gaps. In these coils the secondary windings of the coil/transformer that produce the high voltage is not grounded - each end of the coil feeds one of the plugs so the output voltage has to be high enough to jump both gaps. When you ground one plug, you are forcing all the output current through the other plug. The two outputs of the coil are not connected together; if they were then only one plug, the one with the smaller gap (no matter how small) would fire. By connecting each end of the coil to each spark plug, both plugs have to fire to complete the circuit.

In your situation, if the coil in ok, then either the magnet is weak or the gap between the magnet and coil is too large.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Or is cranking too slow...

• ollieduke
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cranking is fast,as hot battery,
    I must have set the gap the same as the old coil.since It acts the same and maybe both were too large,so next time the shroud is off(probably when it quits starting at all)will move the gap closer.
    Thanks everybody for come backs,as there is a lot of good information on this board.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus