Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecoloradowildcat

24 HP Craftsman YT4000 Lawn Tractor issues

First time posting here, though I have scanned the forum in the past to glean some very useful information.

Important info: Craftsman YT 4000, 42" Riding Mower. Model number - 917.288561
Serial number - 07261D014889 -not sure s/n will help.

Mower is 2+ years old [Battery says Jan, 2012, though I guess Sears could have put a newer battery in an older machine] and has run fine until this week

Have two issues: 1) Something is draining the battery. If tractor sits, not run, for more than a few days, battery is run down. 2) Starting this week, will not start.

Do not know if these two issues are related; however, after charging battery, when trying to start rider, the Solenoid just makes a "clicking" sound.

What I have done/know: 1-Battery tests out at 12 volts....well it did after charging....have run it down some....now shows a little over 10v.

2-Have "gently" tapped both solenoid and starter in case something was stuck.

3-Tried jumping across the terminals of the solenoid. Nothing.

4-The bundle of wires from which the "small" black and white wires with the clips on ends that attach to the solenoid has and "extra" white wire with a clip. Can not find another loose wire in the area that it may have come undone from, so thinking it just may be an extra.

Not familiar with these small engines, but not afraid to tinker. Retired from a technical position in an Information Systems department, so am familiar with dis-assembling and re-assembling items in the computer world. Thinking this can't be a "whole" lot different.....just a whole lot bigger...lol

Anybody out there willing to give me some help....I should be able to follow your diagnostic suggestions, step-by-step quite well.

Oh, and thanks in advance for your time!

Comments (9)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

A battery is considered too low to test at 12.2V.
    It is fully charged at 12.6V

Get it FULLY charged and load tested.

Your tractor only has a 3 AMP charging system.
    It would take 10-12 hours running at high engine speed to charge a fully run down battery, which you have.
    You battery simply may be dead!

IF you have a test meter, you can-
    Set the meter to AMPS-
    Place in series between the battery and battery cable.
    Look for any draw with the key OFF.

I have a hunch you simply have a BAD battery.

• TheColoradoWildcat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bill.....

Tried to jump from car battery....nothing; however, if I bypass the solenoid and go directly to the starter, it turns over.

So, I'm thinking it is either the battery or the solenoid. How can I test the solenoid? Battery still at 10 amps [need to give it a full charge, and will start that while waiting for a reply]

Again, thanks for your time.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

You said jumping across the terminals of the solenoid gave you nothing.
    That means the solenoid wouldn't do anything even if it was good, since it simply "jumps" the large terminals internally.

You need a GOOD battery to properly test the solenoid.

Place your test leads on the 2 solenoid terminals. + lead on the battery side.
    It should read battery voltage.
    Crank the engine. IF the solenoid is GOOD, the voltage reading should drop near ZERO, because the current is going through the solenoid contacts to the starter motor.
    IF the voltage stays at battery voltage, it is trying to go through the meter because the resistance of the solenoid contacts is too high.

Until you get the battery LOAD TESTED, you are peeing in the wind!

• TheColoradoWildcat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bill....

Thanks for your help. Load test failed. Battery would not even take a charge.

New battery, starts better then has past year.

Next time I will follow your first suggestion [load test in this case] first, not later in the process.

Again, thanks for your time and help.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Sometimes it's hard to get that point across,
    These batteries simply, for the most part, do not last nearly as long as car batteries.

Glad you're up & running.

• TheColoradoWildcat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well....tractor starts fine now, so today I decided to cut the grass. Not!

When I put the "blade-lever" into the "engage" position...the blades did not engage. Total silence. There is still good tension on lever when moving up to engage the blades, so spring is still connected,

There was a lot of built up dirt/grass on deck. Thought maybe it was keeping the idler-pulley from moving to tighten belt, but that made no difference.

The belt does not seem to tighten when lever is engaged with motor off. Does motor need to be running to tighten belt?

Couple more things worth noting: 1-when it was working, it would squeal when first engaging the blades, but I just thought that it was just some initial slipping of the belt 'til fully engaged. Maybe not. 2-Blades turn, somewhat harder when lever is not in the "engaged" position, very freely when in "engaged" position. 3-Belt is not tight in either position.

Anybody help with this issue? I will scan other entries to see if someone else has had same issue while waiting.

Thanks for your help and time.

• tjeffers
    9 years ago

Pulley tensioning arm shaft on the deck is frozen. Engaging lever will still work but tensioning pulley armature won't move. A little penetrating oil on the shaft and a hammer tap will fix it...

for now
    TJ

• rcbe
    9 years ago

wildcat - after you get that deck mechanism loosened up and working again, also quit washing the machine - if you are doing so - but start blowing same off with compressed air or leafblower after each use... will minimize those "frozen up" parts.

• HU-8907861
    2 years ago

Question: my belt keeps slipping off the pullys and my wife says the arm lever tbat engages blades wdies not engage fully or not as much as before any help