Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stump1_gw

JD LX277 won't turn over the starter

Stump1
11 years ago

You guys are impressive in your knowledge and maybe you can help me.

I have a JD LX277 with a 17hp Kawasaki v-twin engine which is about 10 years old.It has always run perfectly until now. I just had it serviced by the JD dealer about 3 or 4 months ago, BTW. I put it away a couple of weeks ago in the shed and things were normal. I went to start it to mow, and when I turn the key to engage the starter, I get just a hum. I thought perhaps the new battery the dealer put in was a dud, so I put it on a charger, and the charger reports that it is very low. But the battery doesn't seem to be the problem. I put it on a trickle charge over night anyway, but don't have much faith that that's the problem.

Given that even after charging the battery, I still get just a hum, like something small is running, I'm convinced it's something else in the starting circuitry. However, I'm not knowledgeable about this type of problem, so I thought I'd turn to you folks for some suggestions. I'm reluctant to return it to the dealer for a "fix it", but will if I have to. I do need to mow.

My heartfelt thanks in advance!

Phil

Comments (3)

Sponsored