Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohler 20 hp with awful looking coils

Posted by Joe53 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 19:00

Below are some pics of what the coils look like on this 20hp Kohler Command 624 cc CV18s series.....serial #

The left side cylinder (side with rectifier) is not firing at all.....I think you can see from the pics that the corrosion/rust factor is pretty fierce.

The spade bit is rusted off completely on the coil above the cylinder that is actually working....(note that in the pics right side and left side are reversed)

So I'm confused.....I woulda thought that the right hand side would be the culprit as far as not firing since the spade bit is rusted away on that coil.

Help!

Am I better off to simply replace both coils?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohler 20 hp with awful looking coils

A CV-18 is 18 HP.

Your understanding of the ignition is incorrect.
They generate spark just the way your walk behind lawnmower does. A magnet on the flywheel passes the coils and induces a magnetic field which collapses and produces a spark.
The tabs are for the kill wire, which when rounded, kills spark.

That said, some Kohlers have a "Smart Spark" system which does have power to it in some fashion.
I'm too ignorant of it to tell if you have that or not.

You might try disconnecting the wire on the other coil and see if you get spark???????

o

well it turned out to be a bad coil on the one that still had a good kill wire attachment. The other cylinder kicked in pretty as you please.

Apparently both kill wires are not necessary?

I'm a bit curious as to why the engine hesitates a split second before dying when I turn the key off....but otherwise.....she's running fine now.

I don't think that other coil can last long though.....

o

IF the engine has a carb fuel solenoid, one can make a case that "A" kill wire isn't "necessary".

o

I think that's why I have the lag on my key switch.....I think the solenoid is superceding the missing kill wire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here