Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arhick

Cub Zero turn

arhick
12 years ago

My neighbor traded one Cub cadet problem for another I think. He had gotten a "great deal" on a 2-3 year old zero turn, about enough time to fall in love with the thing and it died. He said it kind of stumbled and that was it. And of course it died tight to the fence on my property line so we rangled it into my side shop door. It has a Kohler Courage 2 cylinder. It has spark, plugs are wet but doesn't fire up. I looked for water in the fuel and it seems like plain fresh gas to me. It is SV720 model. Where to next?

Comments (6)

• walt2002
    12 years ago

I assume this is a V twin Kohler. These have a weird "Kill Wire" system with diodes in it. I suggest you remove the cooling shroud, unplug BOTH kill wires AT their coils, there will be two coils on a V twin Kohler, then see if you have spark. Could be a diode out in the Kill Wire Circuit.

It must be something affecting both cylinders as it will run on one cylinder.

Walt Conner

• arhick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Walt. I did what you said but still nothing. It does not run at all. Sorry I wasn't clear. It looks like 1 coil is on backwards- does that seem right? The kill wire is on the top on one and the bottom of the other. It ran once as it is, so I think it would be right. I did recheck spark and I have spark at both cylinders.

• walt2002
    12 years ago

Have you removed the valve covers to see if things are OK in there, push rods, rocker arms, etc? Seems unlikely that something would happen to both cylinders UNLESS it was only running on one cylinder to begin with.

I guess I would check the flywheel key but I think they use a steel key and not likely to shear.

You MAY be able to download a free Service Manual for that engine, I would check.

Walt Conner

• mownie
    12 years ago

Click and download a free copy of the Kohler service manual.

Here is a link that might be useful: SV-720 manual

• arhick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bingo Walt, at least I think we have it. The flywheel key is sheared off. I will pick one up Monday and let you know how it goes. I appreciate the link Mownie. Why would a flywheel key shear off on a rider?

• mownie
    12 years ago

Well, a couple of things spring to mind, and I hope it's the first one.
    Possibly the flywheel retainer nut was not torqued to its specified 55 ft lb and subsequently permitted the flywheel to slip on the crankshaft during cranking. If so, this could have amounted to the key being slowly sheared in half over time until the last straw was reached.
    The other scenario that comes to mind would be that one (to begin with) of the flywheel alternator magnets came unglued (literally) and got wedged hard into the alternator stator assembly, which would try to stop the flywheel from turning while the crankshaft wanted to keep on turning.
    I can't really think of another reason in this case.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA