Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomplum

Fuel tank seam leak

tomplum
15 years ago

Anyone know of a good sealant for a temporary fix? One of the famous AYP plastic rider tanks. TIA

Comments (3)

• njdpo
    15 years ago

about 5 yrs ago i helped someone rebuild a 1950 Mercury... The guy poured some yellow sealant into the old fuel tank which sealed the tank.

It worked nicely - but im not completely sure he actually had a leak.

You can probably get the stuff at an automotive store - or an automotive paint store.

I will warn you up front - do NOT get this stuff on your skin... it is very painful - and not easy to get off...

I do not know if it works with a plastic tank...

Personally - I recommend you find a replacement tank - after all you are risking spilling gasoline on a hot engine - so this is potentially a *VERY* dangerous situation.

remember once your out in the middle of a field - and that mower is on fire ... theres very little your going to be able to do to salvage the situation.

I speak from personal experience on this subject - it was a VERY scary situation ... *PLEASE* spend the extra few dollars and get yourself a replacement tank.

Safety first - good luck to you.

• tomplum
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Funny you should mention the replacement tank. This is a new tank that we had to wait several weeks for. I'm assuming my phone call tomorrow will be met with another delay. Doh! It is an under the seat tank. I can think of any variety of epoxy and sealants- but don't know if I would have success on the plastic tank. Maybe I'll be in luck and they have another in stock.

• mownie
    15 years ago

I am not 100% sure of the specific plastic your tank is made of, but it will be either polyethylene or polypropylene. Neither of these plastics can be repaired with sealants or epoxies. They also cannot be repaired using any type of solvent based sealer, because both types are solvent proof, after all the containers for solvent chemicals are made from these plastics.
    If you cannot get a decent tank that does not leak (as a replacement part), you may have to ask around to find some little shop that is set up to do "plastic welding" (or some guy that does it as a sideline). It is a process that uses a hot air and/or radiant heat to focus a "hot spot" on the plastic base material while adding plastic filler rod (of the correct type) to the resulting "puddle" of molten plastic. With the advent of plastic in manufacturing, thermal plastic welding has emerged as a way to repair some component.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks