Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuel problem

Posted by BillStephens none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 20:23

I have a Sears model 917.275391 lawn tractor with a Briggs and Stratton model31H777 type 0297-E1. Since I've had it I have always set it on choke, started it, and immediately taken it off choke and it has started fine.

It recently became hard to start. I have to fiddle with the throttle and when it finally starts it belches smoke as if it is flooded. Today it wouldn't start at all. After a few tries gas started pouring out of the front. It started after that, blew out black smoke, and ran fine with no leaks. There are no leaks between the fuel tank and carb.

It seems that fuel is leaking into the carb while it's parked. I'd like to get some ideas on what would cause it and whether I'm going to need to rebuild the carb. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuel problem

This is almost a groaner.
No offense here but you may be the millionth person to post here with this exact issue.
Problem is most likely the needle valve in the carb has reached the point in its life where it no longer seats and seals to the magical/mythical degree that it did when new.
The cure is to replace the needle valve and clean out the carb thoroughly.
Then you need to install a manually operated in line fuel shut off valve between the fuel filter and the fuel tank.
Train yourself to keep the inline valve shut off at all times.... EXCEPT when you are running the engine.
Your motto should be "Butt off, valve off", meaning that if you are not actually running the tractor, the valve should be turned off.
You need to correct the problem, install the inline valve, and change the engine oil and filter (if equipped) BEFORE you run the engine again, or in other words...BEFORE you RUIN the engine.
The gasoline that leaked out and into the engine has also entered the engine oil and this oil is useless now.
If you wish, you can do a topic search here on the forum for the phrase "gas in oil" or similar and read of others experiences.
Search utility is near the bottom of opening page for the forum.

This post was edited by mownie on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 21:06

o
RE: Fuel problem

No offense taken. Should have checked before posting. Thanks for the great information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here