Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcbe_gw

fact or fiction?

rcbe
10 years ago

( A re-post)

so you doubt me i guess i need to lay to rest many myths this was distributed many years ago by briggs
1-rust on the flywheel mags causes a loss of spark,NOT TRUE a magnetic field does not care about rust,it has no effect on it

2-a bright blue spark is the best,a yellow orange spark signifies weak ignition,NOT TRUE,spark color determines nothing,the hottest spark is ultraviolet (my bad i thought microwave) which on can,t see
blue spark is cold in comparison to ultra violet.orange and yellow come from
particles of sodium in the air ionizing in the high energy or the spark gap

3- ign coil output can be adequately tested by laying the plug against the block and pulling the engine over NOT TRUE the ignition coil will only generate enough output to jump the gap of the plug,when under compression the plug requires twice the voltage to fire,this check is not an accurate test of the coil and can be misleading

4- an armature air gap that is too wide will prevent spark NOT TRUE well sort of not true briggs air gaps cannot be made too wide to prvent spark providing the coil is healthy and the engine is spun over fast enough.a wide gap .030 will ever so slightly retard the ign timing as the mag field takes longer to build within the coil windings

5-this was posted by farm store mag in 1969 (i know you all will love this one)
a battery goes dead faster if left on a concrete floor FALSE there is absolutely no scientific proof that this statement is true,removing the battery and leaving on a garage or basement floor which is concrete an inactive battery will self discharge 0.5 to 1.0% per day .it makes no difference wheather the battery is reasting on wood,plastic or concrete,STORING BATTERIES AT ROOM TEMP HELPS PREVENT DISCHARGE batteries will self discharge at a given rate a battery left at 77degrees will be approx 40% discharged at the end of three months,a battery stored at 32 degrees will only self discharge about 20% during the same period,storing a batt at cooler temps slows the rate of discharge,but don,t let it freeze

so in end for those who think they see spark i want to patent your eyeballs we can make a fortune ...glad

the above info was given to me by people in the know

(comments, Gentlemen?)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths