Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrider_gw

Husqvarna GTH2448T Engine Problems

jrider
16 years ago

I have the Briggs and Stratton 24hp V-Twin engine in my Husqvarna. The engine acts fine for about the first 30 mintues, then it acts like it is running out of fuel, but there is plenty of fuel in the tank. I pull out the choke a little and it seems to help, then after a bit, it starts running normally for about 15-20 minutes then starts up again. Any ideas what the problem might be.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• tomplum
    16 years ago

Is the tractor fairly new or has any other repairs been done? Easy things to confirm would be to loosen the fuel cap to see if that helps the situation as a tank vent (or cap vent) could not be open. If not- get a new fuel filter and run some fuel out ahead of the filter to confirm if some water or debris may be in the line as you remove the old filter.

• metal
    16 years ago

Take it back to Lowe's and make them fix it : ) So the new is wearing off the $500 tractor already?

• herus
    16 years ago

About 13 hours between "works great" and "engine problems". Yep, take it back and have them fix.

• jrider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Used the Tractor today for about 30 minutes with no problems. I won't know for sure if the gas cap is the problem until next week, when I mow the grass again. Unfortunately, I think it will be cheaper to fix myself than to haul it back to Lowes. Other than this small hiccup the Tractor works great, and I'm very please with my purchase, especially for the prices. I wasn't expecting a perfect machine for $500.00.

• TedBell
    16 years ago

I had a simlar problem on a large Z (not that it matters but it cost much more than $500 Metal). It was junk in the carb and the float was sticking. You might want to clean the carb.

• hawks066
    16 years ago

Well I came here looking for the same problem I am having with my GTH2448T. How did you make our JRider with your issue? I was instructed to get some dry gas because maybe there was some water in my gas. I popped off the gas cap and heard a nice venting whisp and placed the dry gas in the tank. It seemed to work and I finished mowing the lawn. I then left it outside and came back to it a few hours later to move it back into the garage. It started doing the same thing, it would start with the choke and then die out. I did overfill the tank and now am thinking all it needed was for me to loosen the cap and let it vent. I'm off to give it a shot. Jrider, did you get it used for $500? I purchased it brand new for $2099 at a local small engine business. Lowe's had it also for around the same price new.

• hawks066
    16 years ago

Well that's what it was. I overfilled the tank and gas must have clogged the cap so it couldn't vent. It's all set now.

• tp1967
    16 years ago

Ive got a briggs 24 hp twin that does the same thing,I can spray carb cleaner in the carb while its running and the problem goes away for about 15 minutes.Still havent solved the problem.

• wheely_boy
    16 years ago

Taking it back to Lowe's would be about as useful as teets on boar hog.

• steigs
    13 years ago

Found the starvation problem. Follow the fuel line from the filter to the carb. Inbetween you will find a black device that the fuel line goes in and out of attached to the right cyclinder head. You will also notice a vacuum hose from the right hand side valve cover to the device (it is a vacuum powered fuel pump). I was going to have him order one, but when I took it off I found the intake port (I mean air intake port, it is a very small screened hole on the back of the pump, look, you'll find it.) sealed off solid with crap. I cleaned it out with carb cleaner and air, problem fixed, it runs wide open in deep grass with no fuel starvation. Should you pump be defective, the pn is:387 Diagram: BRP Briggs and Stratton 808656 PUMP-FUEL Your price: $24.95

• randy3452_aol_com
    13 years ago

The problem is a pinched O Ring in the carb. I took mine to the authorized dealer "7" times. It wasn't until I was the one that asked for a factory rep. Then...all of a sudden they found the problem, a pinched O Ring. Been running fine ever since. Incidently, you will notice a pin hole in the gas cap. This hole must be kept cleaned out, or you will experience similar problems. CASE SOLVED!

• jrider
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been happily using this mower for almost 4 years now with no issues. This only happened the first time I used it, could have been the cap or some old gas, not sure which, but it runs like a champ now.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor