Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louky_gw

Help on figuring out a MTD/Troy-Bilt Pony deck

louky
11 years ago

This mower is a 2004 model, I think made by MTD and I think there were Cub Cadets built on the same format. I recently bought this mower used, knowing it needed a starter. Got the starter replaced and the engine running only to find out the deck belt turns the blades when disengaged. I've never seen this arrangement before, looks like raising the deck to the PTO disengage position is supposed to just put enough slack in the belt so it slips on the motor pulley, and lowering it to the highest position tightens it enough to engage the blades. When it is in the PTO disengage position, the blades aren't fully engaged, but catch enough to turn. There are also some "brakes" that are meant to rub on both blade pulley tops when the deck is in the disengage position. Unfortunately, there is about 3/8" clearance even with the deck all the way up. I noticed that there are washers meant to shim the brakes down but they still don't touch.

I was trying to figure out how to raise the whole deck 1/2 inch to contact the brakes but can't see a way to do it. I did find (what I call) a barrel nut on the drivers side only on a deck hanging rod, but this looks like it is meant to be a left/right leveling adjustment since the other side is not adustable. I also couldn't figure out how to do the front/rear leveling of the deck.

I could shim the brakes down further, but really want to find out how this got this far out of adjustment.

Anyone fought with one of these before??

Thanks, Ray

Comments (5)

• tomplum
    11 years ago

A model # would certainly be helpful. Many of these style have an idle adjustment that will allow the deck to pull forward enough to disengage the belt. Using the OEM belt is critical as well as having the belt guards installed. too. If you look ahead of the right rear tire , you will see a small hitch pin. Lower the deck, slide out the pin, and turn the trunnion as to shorten the rod a few turns then reinstall. Usually that will do the trick. It is possible to bring the deck too forward so it rubs on the engine pulley. The brake arms can be bent down to contact when they should. The pitch is only adjustable if the deck has the center front arm off the axle bracket.

• louky
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tomplum: Thanks for the prompt response. Model #13AN689G766.

I looked for the adjustment you mentioned near the right wheel and didn't see anything at a cursory glance. I was hesitant to bend the brakes down as it seems like it will get out of parallel with the pulley. I may try to take them off and bend both angles and reinstall. Could you let me know if you see any other possibilities after you look at it? http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=troy_bilt&mn=13AN689G766+Pony+%282004%29&dn=0016000005

ps. I had also thought about the belt possibility as the PO said it was a new belt, and he probably didn't pay the $50 to buy to OEM belt. I still would like to try to do this with adjustments, there had to be something happen to generate the clearance between the brakes and the pulleys.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

You might have success w/ the adjustment if it is a non OEM belt. Just watch the distance from the deck to the stack pulley. The rod in question is #41. It is pinned on the right arm of # 31. You'll see it ahead of the tire. By the location, it doesn't look like the proper thing to adjust the deck- but it is. Remove that pin and turn it clockwise as viewed from the rear. The ferule as they call it is number 33 that it turns in. (Leave that in place and just turn the rod.)Those brake arms aren't really super effective anyways, but do help if everything is as it should be. Are the brake discs mounted on top of the spindle or had they been left off?

• louky
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The discs are still mounted on the spindles and there is some "brake pad" left on the brakes. Thanks so much for your help. I could have looked for hours underneath and not seen this! I am out of town next week so it will be a while before I get back on this but I will keep you posted. This forum is the greatest!

• louky
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Follow up: I traded this mower for an older Huskee GT today without figuring this out. I tried moving the deck forward using the instructions provided by tomplum, but it didn't clear the problem so I put it back where it started. I did verify that the belt was the OEM number. The new owner is going to have it looked at by a friend that works on mowers. If he lets me know what they find I will post it here. Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures