Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjsm5nys

Life expectancy for Kawasaki 20hp air cooled engine?

cjsm5nys
12 years ago

With all things considered, how long will a Kawasaki 20hp air cooled engine last?

I ask only since I am considering to upgrade to a 2004 John Deere GX255. It has 612 hours. Dealer said this machine has been maintained regularily at his shop and transaxle fluid changed at 500 hours. Machine looks well cared for.

Thanks

Comments (4)

• User
    12 years ago

I've seen those generation Kawasaki air cooled twins with hours in the mid teens and a couple over 2000 hours.

Change the engine oil and filter and air filter and do the other routine maintenance at the prescribed intervals and you should have no problems for a long time.

• cjsm5nys
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have read recently blogs about carberator issues with the Kawasaki 20 hp engine in GT245's. The GX has this same engine but I really have not come across any such issues from anyone I know.

Is this really an issue?

• dennyin
    12 years ago

With regular maintenance I had one go 1650 hours before the rod broke.

• nysff
    12 years ago

It was a real issue. I bought a used GT series (GT225) two years ago. Looked at a mint GT245 but it had the tell-tale signs (blew black smoke on start-up, blacked inner front rim, etc.). Mint tractor with 80 hrs, could have it for probably $2800, but I wasn't going to buy any known problems. I confirmed it with JD corporate that at least the one I was looking at was covered under the problem. I was given a range of engine numbers that were impacted. I read that jets could be changed, but created a lean-running problem for some. After that discovery, I limited my search to the GT225, GT235 and GX325. Unless you can confirm that the particular engine is covered, I think it would be susceptible.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services