Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New carb problem

Posted by edthedead (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 0:30

I put a new "Nikki" carb on my 18 HP Briggs engine 31P777 and the choke sticks and I have to pull it off by hand . I don't get it. It works freely and then all at once it will not come off. Anyone else have that problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New carb problem

I dought there is nothing wrong with the new carb. IMO it probably in the choke cable. Beings you had to tamper with it to get the new carb off and hooked back up. It is now probably binding or sticking inside the cable housing or you just adjusted it wrong or tighten it down too tight?

o

The choke on this carb is automatic. We have seen this before as many replacement carbs are 'universal', e.g. fitting several applications. If you look at the top of the carb where the butterfly extends through the casting, you'll see a small coil or spring that acts as a stop at each choke setting. Remove the spring with a pair of needle nose pliers and the choke will work properly again.

o

I think I know what he/ she means. These are craptastic replacements that have a loose fitting choke plate. Be sure that the plate is in position and stays in position. Recall that the old carb choke butterfly was retained w/ screws? The choke plate can also bind in the elbow that goes up to the airbox. Snugging that elbow to one side or the other usually gives you enough clearance.

o

That's exactly it! I loosened the two 7/16 nuts and the choke snapped back. I retightened them pushing the inlet back towards the engine and it is working freely. Thanks to everyone who responded. Do I need to do something with the floppy choke plate or will it be ok as it is?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here