Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lildeere

Replacement Battery for my JD LT180

lildeere
12 years ago

Well I screwed up yesterday...while I was mowing by backyard I began running out of gas ...so I yanked on the choke long enough to limp back to the garage but apparently in my haste I left the switch on and today I cant start it!I tried to recharge it but its just not working. This is the original battery from 6/2004 so it's 7 years old. I have heard some good things about Deka batteries. Can someone give me some recommendations? Thanks

Comments (5)

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

I think you will find if you research a little that batteries are like most things. Whatever brand a person has is just the very best and none like them. If I got 7 years service from a battery I wouldn't change brands for any money. But the odds are you will never do it again.

• rcbe
    12 years ago

ditto don's comments.

whatever you get, have it LOAD tested before you pony up. May save you some headaches a bit later...

• bluemower
    12 years ago

Batteries are usually available with 4 power levels. These examples are approximate. The top two are usually appropriate for the twin cylinder engines.
    180 CCA
    230 CCA
    300 CCA
    340 CCA

The positive battery post can be installed on either side of the battery. This is required for different applications. Check your original before buying a new battery.

Sealed batteries usually do not develop corrosion problems. The batteries with water caps are more likely to corrode the cables. Sealed batteries are usually $5 - $8 more exensive.

There are several companies who manufacture the sealed battery and i believe they are all good. Deka uses the sealed design and is manufactured by East Penn.

• mownie
    12 years ago

I concur with using a sealed battery.
    I have also had only good experiences with Deka brand by East Penn.
    When my employer used them in the truck and forklift fleet, corrosion was unknown for the entire time Deka batteries were the standard.
    Then, company changed management and battery brand.
    The first of the "new brand" were Exide branded batteries and it was the biggest bad choice I ever saw in selecting a battery.
    The corrosion problems caused by those (and subsequent brands since) is so bad that whatever $ savings the company managers "imagine" they are getting from using el cheapo batteries is quickly spent (and then some) replacing cables and battery holder components. A typical example of the old "penny wise but pound foolish" adage.

• lildeere
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys. I got a 275cca maintenance free battery at Oreilly's. Its made by East Penn and only set me back 40 bucks and my old battery for a core. And thanks for the LOAD tip, as I did pass up the first battery they tested...I took the second one and installed it today, the Deere spun up instantly...really quick starts with this baby...so far anyway...

Here is a link that might be useful: SuperStart