Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transmission problem?

Posted by SouthTexasDYT4000 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 1:53

Why won't my tractor stay in Neutral when put there? Why do I periodically lose reverse? Why does it go forward while in reverse?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transmission problem?

You could post up the full technical model number from under the seat, that number might actually permit one of us to view the parts for your specific DYT4000.
What you have posted so far is like describing an automobile as a Chevrolet Impala, without including the other numbers (year model and V.I.N.).
The full technical model number will provide what is needed to look at your parts.

o

917.273640......guess i could have included this

o

There are a few possibilities, all having to do with excessive wear or loose fit in the directional control linkage.
My first suspect would be the control arm on the transaxle case where the directional control linkage ends at the transaxle.
The control arm attaches to the directional control shaft (aka swash plate shaft) with a bolt.
The control arm has a square shaped hole and the control shaft has a square shaped profile where the two fit together.
It is possible that the bolt holding the control arm to the control shaft has been loose and worn away the profile of the two mating parts to the point that the control arm and the control shaft are no longer locked together, but instead are now able to allow the control arm to move (when you move the directional control lever on fender) without affecting the same movement to the control shaft.
This is going to require a close up visual inspection of the control arm where it attaches to the control shaft while some body operates the forward/reverse lever to determine if there is a lot of slop between the two components. Normally, there should be no lost motion between the two parts.
You may have to remove the bolt that holds the control arm to the control shaft to see if the square hole and shoulder are no longer "square" because of wear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here