Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere 425 No spark won't start

Posted by ALLJD none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 3:10

I have a 425 AWS lawn tractor and it won't start. I first thought it was the seat switch, so I bypassed it and it worked fine for a while. The fuel pump works and both 15 amp fuses are good. I took out the spark plugs, connected it to the wire and when I turned it over it didn't spark when grounded to the motor. Neither side sparks so I don't think it is the coils. Does any one have any other ideas, Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere 425 No spark won't start

Replace "time delay" module. It used to be around $20 from your dealer. Item 30 in the diagram.
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

o

Thank you for responding to my question. I put in the new part and it worked perfectly. It cost less than $20.00 for the part. This is a great website!

o

Uhh, exactly where is that time delay module? Wife's telling me ours won't start and I investigated it and it doesn't have any spark either. This must be a common problem with these.

o

If your sitting on the tractor, It's on the left side near the rear of the engine compartment. In the wiring harness assy. It's a square component and my new one was round.

o

I had the same thing. I stressed over it for a few days, thinking what the dealer would charge to get it fixed, then I read this page, bought the time delay module, for 20 bucks, and in ten minutes was out mowing! That little part is big trouble when it fails. At least its easy to change, and cheap. I'm so glad this forum exists, it saved me a lot of time and expense for sure.

o

Thank you for the information. I had the same problem but it manifested itself with what I thought, was related to the heat of the engine. I replaced the time delay module and tractor is running fine. Module cost was $21.95. An alternative, the igniter would have cost close to $300.00.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here