Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alljd

John Deere 425 No spark won't start

ALLJD
12 years ago

I have a 425 AWS lawn tractor and it won't start. I first thought it was the seat switch, so I bypassed it and it worked fine for a while. The fuel pump works and both 15 amp fuses are good. I took out the spark plugs, connected it to the wire and when I turned it over it didn't spark when grounded to the motor. Neither side sparks so I don't think it is the coils. Does any one have any other ideas, Thanks.

Comments (12)

• ALLJD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for responding to my question. I put in the new part and it worked perfectly. It cost less than $20.00 for the part. This is a great website!

• apalmerjr
    12 years ago

Uhh, exactly where is that time delay module? Wife's telling me ours won't start and I investigated it and it doesn't have any spark either. This must be a common problem with these.

• aws425
    12 years ago

If your sitting on the tractor, It's on the left side near the rear of the engine compartment. In the wiring harness assy. It's a square component and my new one was round.

• herstads_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I had the same thing. I stressed over it for a few days, thinking what the dealer would charge to get it fixed, then I read this page, bought the time delay module, for 20 bucks, and in ten minutes was out mowing! That little part is big trouble when it fails. At least its easy to change, and cheap. I'm so glad this forum exists, it saved me a lot of time and expense for sure.

• siberfile
    9 years ago

Thank you for the information. I had the same problem but it manifested itself with what I thought, was related to the heat of the engine. I replaced the time delay module and tractor is running fine. Module cost was $21.95. An alternative, the igniter would have cost close to $300.00.

• imyz2u
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I can't seem to find anything in the wiring harness dia. that shows a "time delay" module. The #30 in the harness for my 425 says it's a PTO relay. My tractor was running and it quit as if I had turned the key off. Now it won't start and has no spark. Is this the same problem??

• michelemeyer26
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have same problem and changed time delay module. air filter, spark plugs, charged the battery. stil only turns over not starting. the seat thing is bypassed also. help?? what else I cannot find any answers

• eimat21
    7 years ago

I have a 155c with no spark. Should I have my brother check these same things on mine? Could it be a fuse? He already bypassed the seat safety sensor. It has a new spark plug and a new fuel pump.

• tomplum
    7 years ago

It sounds like it should go in and be repaired from your description.

• Kris Judy Clark
    7 years ago

Thank you all, I had the same problem with not starting. I replaced the time delay module and then it fired right up!

• steve raddatz
    5 months ago

20 bucks? I spent $55 on the time delay module (2023) so I got screwed going to a john deere dealership! I truly feel screwed over! this is what causes the dreaded inflation, but in this case inflation was what 200% wtf!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths