Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Simplicity Conquest, to buy or not to buy?

Posted by Tonytn1158 TN (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 5:03

Hi, I hope everyone is well. I'm looking at a 2002 Simplicity Conquest that I am considering buying. I need advice to buy or not and what to look for? The man that owns it works at an area mower shop. He bought it with a blown engine. It had a 20 hp Briggs Vanguard. He replaced it with a 2004 model 18 hp Briggs Vanguard. Will that engine turn a 54" deck? I will be mowing about an 1 1/2 acres. It has a hill on it. I will be mowing some kudzu, or at least attempt to. It is a hydro unit. The steering is stiff, could it have power steering, but isn't working. What would you look at to see is if it has PS? I have driven for a minute. What else should I look for? He's asking $1300, he said the least he would take is $1200. I spoke with the local dealer, he said it was to much. He stated the fair price would be about $900. So, what does everyone think? Good buy or not and at what price? Thank you.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Simplicity Conquest, to buy or not to buy?

kudzu... that stuff is an invasive vine, not grass. Would be thinking Bush Hog, not riding mower. Bad stuff to get rid of.
Might want to look around at what others are using in similar circumstances in your area to accomplish same before investing in hardware, etc. ... If the kudzu is your main problem, there may be other means to remove such and then look at appropriate grounds maintanence eqpt. Would start with checking with your county agent for advice on kudzu..

o

It would be pushing the 18 HP Vanguard to its upper limits to handle a 54" deck cutting a finished lawn. It's not even inside the ballpark to deal with thick foliage like you want to cut.
Cutting with a 54" deck and 18 HP would require that the lawn/vegetation not be much taller than the level you intend to cut it to. Your ground speed would also need to be very slow if you were trying to cut a lawn that had gained significant growth.
Now, if you could get the same tractor with a 46", or 48" deck.......the match up of engine to deck would be about right.......for cutting lawn.
You need to pen that area in and turn about 100 goats loose there. :^)

This post was edited by mownie on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 12:26

o

Hi, that's what I been wondering about if that engine was enough to turn that size of a deck. I think I'll continue looking,,,,,,,,Thank you.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here