Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyk_gw

PSI question for zero-turn

nancyk
13 years ago

Thanks for all the advice of patterns/turning on my Ferris

1. The Ferris manual calls for 25 psi in the front small tires and 15 for the rear larger tires. I've been told many people use as little as 8-12 but is that in the front tires as well?

Nancy

Comments (11)

• walt2002
    13 years ago

I use 8 PSI in rear of our Dixon ZTR and 15 in front. This will vary depending on the size of the tires in question as well as the weight of the mower.

Walt Conner

• mssurveyor
    13 years ago

Hey Walt, I was just wondering how you came up the combination of 8 PSI in rear and 15 in the front. Is that a Dixon recommendation?

Bad Boy recommends 12 psi front and back. I run 8 psi front and 10 psi rear. Until I adjust my deck pitch. Then I'll run 8 psi front and rear for a softer ride. Right now that combination front and rear gives me the best deck pitch for my mower. Gives me a great cut, and a smooth ride with very good traction. I need to measure the deck pitch and air my tires to 8 psi front and rear, and adjust the pitch.

Just wondering?

ms

• nancyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I mentioned the lower-than-recommended tire pressure to my husband/personal Ferris maintenance person, he believes that is a bit low, and is concerned the tire may come off the rim(there are no tubes in the tires).

Nancy

• mssurveyor
    13 years ago

Oh, ok. That's his call. I surely understand fears about that, and keeping you safe. That's what's important.

ms

• walt2002
    13 years ago

"Hey Walt, I was just wondering how you came up the combination of 8 PSI in rear and 15 in the front. Is that a Dixon recommendation? "

I don't remember what Dixon recommends, 12 rear and 20 front I THINK.

How I judge proper inflation on ZTR rear tires is park it on concrete, look at the profile of the tire, IF the tire is bulging, rounded, in the middle of the tread, too much air. If the tire comes off, too little (grin)

These things steer by the rear wheels. The rear tire needs to have the best foot print, tread to surface, contact possible. Rounded, tire tread = less traction.

Ride is another consideration especially on the rear wheels mainly. Now, on the front tires, the softer they are the more resistance they offer to caster increasing requirements on rear wheel for turning force.

Walt Conner

• mssurveyor
    13 years ago

Ha! I had to read that a few times Walt! I think it was the,

"If the tire comes off, too little (grin)"

that took me a while to figure out! LOL!

Thanks! I was just wondering.

ms

• mssurveyor
    13 years ago

I've been thinking about this Walt. All mowers are different. My front end is light for the weight of the mower. Over 1200 lbs with 14 gallons of gas. My front end doesn't push at all. So it really depends on the mower. I showed the dealer how to turn by hand the front caster wheels backward while on the trailer to make backing the mower off easier. My front end swings around nicely while mowing. I've not run any tires off the rim yet. So I'm in the game.

Thanks Walt.

ms

• nancyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ferris 2000 has just been greased & oiled for the 2nd time this season, just 20 hrs on it so far. We also lowered the front tire pressure to 16(from 25 recommended) and the rear tire pressure to 12(from 15 recommended). We will see how we do.

Nancy

• mssurveyor
    13 years ago

"Ferris 2000 has just been greased & oiled for the 2nd time this season, just 20 hrs on it so far. We also lowered the front tire pressure to 16(from 25 recommended) and the rear tire pressure to 12(from 15 recommended). We will see how we do."

Well? How did it go? Was it smoother? Did it seem to turn without tearing divots in the turf?

Did hubby embrace the forward 1/4 inch lower pitch on the deck? If so, how did it mow?

ms

• nancyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Have not mowed yet, too much rain.
    "embrace the forward 1/4 inch lower pitch" I did mention this, and he filed it for now. I do watch him level his bushhogs and they are the same height off the ground at all points, so this lower pitch may be hard for him to do. We'll see.

Nancy

• mssurveyor
    13 years ago

Well, let's see, 9 psi lower in the front, and 2 psi lower in the rear. You know something. I think he made a redneck pitch adjustment because the front end is going to be some what lower than before.

Good Luck! Let us know because we're interested!

ms