Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19804566

Kohler Head Gasket Problem list

User
16 years ago

What a lot of posts to read through... I saw model CV730S listed as problematic.

Does anyone know:

The exact years and model numbers of Kohler engines that had the head problem?

If the head gasket and or stud kit is the same for all models affected and what the kit part number is?

Thx!

Joe

P.S. Kudos to the guy who wants/did drill his heads and add his own extra fasteners! GOD Bless those that can fix their own!

Comments (11)

• davidld
    16 years ago

The head gasket kit is specific to the CV730S Spec code. For example, Deere speced studs, Sears speced bolts. The heads on the engines with studs are a different part than the ones that used bolts. I have not heard of any problems withthe engines that had studs. Most of the engines that had problems with improperly heat treated bolts that stretched and blew the gasket dated from 2003 into early 2004. By about May or June of 2004 the improper heat treatment had been corrected at the factory. Engines built after that USUALLY do not have a problem.

Every CV730S has a specific build date and spec code on the tag. You can check whether a specific spec code used bolts or studs on the Kohler parts site. The gasket/bolt kits do not convert bolts into studs because the entire head is different to accommodate the studs and would have to be replaced as well.

• fisher40037
    16 years ago

I have seen head gasket problems on a wide range of those engines.
    I do not read about them in a industry newsletter,
    but work on them everyday.
    With the Kohlers, one must be a magician to divine what
    the problem is, especially the real new stuff.

Which is why I request model, spec, and serial numbers.

Ok I demand them.....................

So I can find out what is on that particular engine.

Ok, why did you post the original question??

Fish

• presmudjo
    16 years ago

Fish,
    We are thinking of buying a Husquvarna YTH20K46 which has the Kohler Courage 20 hp. You mention the Kohler Engine, so was curious what usually goes on with them? Other models of Husquvarna have kawaski V-twin or Briggs & Stratton Intek V-twin, but not in stock if we run out and buy on the whim like we usually do.
    Joann

• davidld
    16 years ago

The Courage engines are a different design from the Kohler Command engines, and I don't ever recall seeing a post regarding a blown head gasket on a Courage engine on this forum

• gypsy1969
    15 years ago

Can anyone tell me if the following engine on my Sears GT5000 tractor is one of the problem head gasket/cheesy head bolt models??

Kohler Command Engine: CV730-0029
    Engine Serial: 3402620531

A 2004 production date is indicated by this serial #, but no date of manufacture on the engine tag.

Thanks for your help. BTW, the Kohler engine parts web site does not support current model Apple computers (which don't run Internet Explorer browsers).

• shelbygt
    15 years ago

A simple way to verify if you potentially have a problem engine or not is to look and see if your heads are secured with bolts or studs/nuts. There are four that secure the head, two of which are under the valve cover and two of which are visible outside the valve cover. One of the two outside the valve cover is easily seen through the same hole in the sheetmetal shroud that the spark plug wire goes through. Look through that hole and you will see either a bolt head or a stud with a nut. That will answer your question.

If your investigation shows bolts, and you have not have the problem thus far you are lucky. Perhaps a bolt replacement or retorque would prevent any issues down the road.

By the way, the problem started as early as 2001 because I had the issue on mine. Kohler eventually replaced my entire engine under warranty due to the head gasket and other issues. Not a single problem since. The new engine uses the stud/nut method to secure the head.

• gypsy1969
    15 years ago

ShelbyGT,

Thanks for the tip on checking the head bolts, but I think that the issue is really whether or not my Kohler Command engine (CV730-)has properly hardened head bolts that will not stretch and cause the leaky head gasket problems. The case hardening of the head bolts cannot be verified by a visual inspection.

BTW, My 2004 GT5000 has head bolts and not studs/nuts for securing the cylinder heads. So far it is running fine, but I would like to know if I should purchase the hardened head bolts kits for both cylinder heads and install them before something lets go due to the stretching of too soft head bolts.

• shelbygt
    15 years ago

Hmmmm, I was unaware of a heat treatment issue with the head bolts before I read these posts. Has that been confirmed with Kohler and do they have a part number for the new bolt? That being the case you may want to retorque the heads (you would need to get the torque value from Kohler). Any movement of the bolt would indicate they lost torque. Or to be sure you would need to take one of the bolts to a metals lab for a hardness test.

• tomplum
    15 years ago

kohler.com has online service manuals for these. They are very easy to follow. The torque values vary depending on what style bolts. IMO , I wouldn't fret too much on an impending head gasket issue. You need to observant while running any equipment. Watch oil levels as you should anyways. They will smoke when they finally go. If you would rather meet this head on, buy a pair of head gasket kits and go to it. The bolts are in the box. Add an inch # torque wrench to the list too.

• HU-695218708
    5 years ago

We purchased a Gravely Z252 commercial mower with a 24 hp Kohler mower in 2006 figuring it would be the last mower we would ever buy. A few weeks ago, while my wife was mowing she noticed the (650 hour in 12 years; 50 hour annual use) commercial engine sounded "funny" . When I pulled the oil dip stick it was dry. My wife commented there was no puddle of oil under where the mower is parked. Consulting the business from which we purchased the mower we learned that a significant number of the mowers purchased around the time we bought ours had catastrophic oil loss and "blew" engines when the inadequate Kohler head gasket failed. Supposedly, Kohler has redesigned its head gaskets with a metal rim on the gasket like auto engine gaskets. The gasket on our 2006 mower had no metal rim. I asked the business from which we purchased our mower why Kohler didn't send out an advisory to be vigilant in monitoring oil levels or even offered a replacement with the newly engineered gasket. Apparently, the business was aware of the gasket problem but neither they nor Gravely alerted us to the potential failure of the poorly designed gasket on our $10,000 Gravely commercial mower which was only used to mow around our home. I bet commercial mowers have 50 or more hours put on them weekly during grass cutting season. I realize the mower's oil level should have been checked before every start. However, my wife who loves to mow probably would not have taken advice from me. Had Gravely, Kohler or the business from which we purchased the mower had alerted us, my wife would have probably heeded their advice.

During an election year, politicians are exceptionally responsive to constituents needs. I plan to craft a letter to Maryland's Governor, Comptroller and Attorney General. Depending on their response to my letter, there is still the option to sue Kohler and Gravely in Maryland Small Claims court. Incidentally, our new Kohler Command Pro CV742 25hp engine cost over $3400.00 installed. The upper limit for small claims lawsuits in Maryland is $5,000.00. Even if a company is headquartered outside MD, it is subject to suit it if it sells its products in MD. I will let you know how things turn out. Yes my wife is religiously checking the oil in our new $3400.00 Kohler engine. Thanks, Centreville Bill

Sponsored