Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bekellog

John Deere x300 vs Simplicity Reagent

bekellog
13 years ago

So Ive been searching for a new mower over the last several months, and I think that i have finaly reached 2 finalist Jd x300 38" or 42"(not sure yet) or a Simplicity Reagent 38". I have heard that the Reagent has a really good quality of cut, however its only avaliable with a single cyl Briggs, I have not been around many singles. The John deere has a 2 cl Kaw, engine, whitch is very smooth, however I see that the deck has only 2 scalp wheel, and am not sure about the cut, my buddy's x324 cuts real nice, but it has 4 deck wheels. Any x300 owners out there have any opinion on this??? How bout Reagent owners????

Comments (24)

• wrager
    13 years ago

Those were my two options a year ago. Simplicity does have a great reputation for cut quailty. The only issue is the dealer network is very scarce. No inventory so everything is make to order. I ended up finding an 08' X300 with 40 hours on it. Paid $2300 and couldn't be happier. The twin kawi is sweet too. The single briggs is like riding a pad vibrator.

• lkbum_gw
    13 years ago

My brother has a single Kohler in his regent, I have a twin briggs in my Broadmoor. MAJOR difference. If I had a choice, it would always be a twin. If you look at how the SImplicity deck is attached, you will see that it pivots in the front and rides on a set of rollers across the back deck. I have found that when the tractor pitches or moves due to a single wheel dropping into an uneven patch, the deck stays level on the rollers. I would take into consideration the condition of your yard when making a decision, mine is recovered pasture.

• papasays
    13 years ago

My personal experience with the X300 says stay away. I have a 2006 with under 100 hours that neede the hydrostatic unit replaced. Cost: $1,000. I think the Simplicity has the same unit as well, a Tuff Torq K46 hydro. BEWARE. I'm getting mine fixed, selling it and buying an older Wheel Horse. Now they made good tractors.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    13 years ago

The JD X320 has a better tranny than the x300.

• bekellog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the input, its starting to sound like there's problems with both units that i am looking at. I know the x300 uses the k46, but i cant believe that they are all junk, and yes i know the x320 uses a better trans--but I need a small mower 42" or less, actually i am using a 38" now and it seems to be the right size, I really appreciate all the input, but now i am confused, are there not any decent 38" mowers out there???

Thanks

• rcbe
    13 years ago

hard to offer any brand/model advice w/o knowing what your lawn conditions are (hills, obstacles, gates, level/rough terrain, etc.).

• bekellog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really don't have much slope to my yard, some but not exesssive, i do have a some oblticles to go around, basicly i am looking for a mower with a shorter turning radius than the one that i have whitch is 38.5" lots of stoping and backing up, I figure one witha shorter turn radius would help me out?? Am i thinking right??

• rcbe
    13 years ago

there's a number of brands/models out there that would meet your wants. Most of 'em now have a turn radius of 12-15 inches.
    I wont go into brands - but there are a number of them that can do the job for less $$ than you would be paying for your firat two choices. But, do buy from a dealer vs the big box stores to get good after sale support. Visit all the local dealers around you - tell them what you need to cut and your want of a good turning radius. Test drive their offerings before buying - ergonomics will be important for all that seat time to follow. Don't be afraid of a 46-48 inch deck - they stick out past yer rear tire a bit, making close trimming much easier - just gotta keep gate/door widths in mind.
    Good luck.

• bekellog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks rcbe 6 I had always thought that a larger mower would be a hinderence, but after your comment, maybe not--i never thought about trimming ease. I did talk to the local simplicity dealer, he said he could get me a new mower with a 44" deck for reasonable amount, However in the past i always thought that the 44" would be too large, but seeing that i dont have any gates to go though it may make mowing easier,I would also be adding 6" to my mowing width. BTW what other brands were you talking about???

Thanks

• virginiacowboy
    13 years ago

Depends on your needs. The K46 gets a bad rap, thousands have used it for what it is intended without issue. The JD has a four year warranty. For my money, to spend an additional grand for a slightly upgraded transmission for the 320 is not worth it. Like I said, depends what you need. I prefer the 42 inch deck over the triple blade. I love this forum, but know that no matter what product you post there is someone who loves it and someone who has had issue.

Some general thoughts: For many of us, these machines are as much hobby as they are a utility item to do a job. However, I do have other interests and do not need a $5000 machine when better than 95% of the time one for half that price will do everything I need.

• User
    13 years ago

There is NO substitute for getting a specific L&G tractor in your OWN yard to see what it will do...

JD offers a 30 day no questions asked return policy and a 4 year - 300 hour warranty on the X300. That's where I'd start.

• bekellog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice!! Today i got a call back from the local john deere dealer. They had just sold the last x300, but they could order one, it would be 1.5-2 weeks. However he said that they would not be able to improve the $$$, but they had a new x304 that they really wanted to make a deal on, I have looked at the x304, now that it may be closer in price to an x300 I am starting to think maybe i should go that way. I read some reviews that said the x304 did not cut the best??? Anyone out there have this problem???

Thank you

• User
    13 years ago

I'm not in favor of the added complexity of 4 wheel steer unless that feature is a necessity. The X300 turns pretty darn sharp and effortlessly.

If the X300 gives you a warm fuzzy feeling tell the dealer to call you when they get one and that you want to drive it at your house. If they balk then try to negotiate a better price keeping in mind, but not mentioning, the JD 30 day promise to the dealer. In some areas the JD dealers just will not budge on price but that keeps resale values up. It's getting late in the summer so the $300 factory promo on the X300 should be back soon.

• virginiacowboy
    13 years ago

The 304 has a really tight turning radius, as in making rings around a five gallon bucket tight. Like lucker said however, if you do not need it, the 300 has a very capable turning radius and unless they are giving the 304 for the same price as the 300, you are still spending more than you might need to. I personally think the 300 has great value, but if you have a lot of tight turns ask them for a test drive at your place on the 304. I do not think they have sold as many of those this year and if they want the sale make them prove it is worth your $3800 beans. I am sure it is more convenient for the dealer to sell their in stock items this time of year than order one. Make sure it is best for you.

• bekellog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys, you all bring up valid points, I am thinking that i could get along with a 300, but i can also see places in my yard where the 304 would be great, i have used an x324 quite a bit, so maybe the 4ws is rubbing off on me. I really need to drive a 300 to see how tight it turns, I want to cut down on some of my backing up time. Decisions--Decisions

Thanks

• larso1
    13 years ago

"I want to cut down on some of my backing up time. Decisions--Decision"

In that case you should get the JD ZTR Z-425. You will eliminate your backup time and not be tethered to a turning radius. Mine was $4K a couple years ago. I sure like it and wouldn't go back to a lawn tractor.....and I only have 1/2 acre :)

• doberman_2007
    13 years ago

My 4 wheel steer is simple in design and easy to service ,the added steering control arms are easy to change. My wife is outside mowing now and she loves it, took a while to get use to it. It is the same ol same ol get the right mower for the right task and dont undersize.
    I hope to never buy another mower this one WILL last if it takes duck tape and bailing wire.....

• bekellog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Last night I borrowed a Craftsman mower from my grandpa and mowed with it, It has only 2 deck wheels on the rear of the deck, whitch is different than my current mower, I was supprised at the quality of cut with only 2 wheels on the deck. I was wondering if the cut would be similar with the John Deere--it only having 2 but on the front of the deck. Anyone have any experiece with this??

Thank you

• bekellog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well im still leaning towards the x304 it seems like some dealers in my area are really starting to discount them, im wondering if its just because there not selling, or its late in the season. Most of the reply's i have had seem to say the x300 and x304 have a pretty good quality of cut. My problem with Simplicity is the uncertainty of the local dealer, with john deere that is not a problem. Besides the Simplicity again comes with a single, and im not sure i want to go that route. So i guess my new ??? is with the k46--some people say its junk, some say it suits the porpoise I will not be pulling any attachments, except maybe a cart, i dont have any hills or slopes in my yard, and i sure don't have the $$$$ for a x320 or have the yard to justify a 48" deck, so am i looking at a mower that will do what i want or should i keep looking??

Thanks
    Ben

• User
    13 years ago

The dealer is an important consideration.

John Deere warrants that the X300 will do what they say it will do for 48 Months or 300 Hours, Whichever Comes First.

I'd like a dollar for every X300 owner that doesn't have any problems and just mows rather than posting on forums.

If the X300 meets your needs there you go.

• cameroncday
    8 years ago

I would go with the John Deere because simplicity has a reputation of braking and stuff like that. I have a John Deere x304 and I love it, I had a simplicity before but this one is bay FAR better!

• lkbum_gw
    8 years ago

I think he made his decision 5 years ago….

• lt150
    8 years ago

I have a JD LT150 and a JD265 and I take the mower decks off 1 to 2 times a year. The older I get the less I like doing the job. I have never had a Simplicity before but it looks like removing the deck is much easier. I know they say the cut quality of the Simplicity is very good but I have never had one to say if that is true. Both my decks ..one a freedom 42 mulching deck do cut very good. But wish they were easier to get off. If I ever get another mower I think mower deck maintenance will be a consideration.

• HU-457926787
    5 years ago

Ive had a lot of simplicities and mostly broodmoors but some regents too and ive had 3 john deeres 2 x300 s and a 100 model that was probably was bad when I got it . The x300 I got new and it was a good tractor but I had a lot of money in it and I got it for a gift from my wife with the payment book so I sold it it was a good mower no problems . I bought used one to cut the lawn at my apartment building it has a crack in the seat and hood but only 241 hrs on it for 500 dollars I cut a good part of a 15 acre field to test it out and it did just fine . I had a regent with the hp kohler high output with the 44 inch deck and cut 3/4 acre for 10 years but it was getting hot lately when I was getting done cutting with it but it was 89 degrees outside . The brood mowers from the mid 90s had plenty of tranny problems I had a number of them that had weak trannys in them. The seats don't crack as easy on a simplicity and the metal hoods I think are better. I keep some broodmoors around because I have lots of leaves to bag and the power blower works good and there are more of them around compared to the john deere ones and used john deeres with power baggers are expensive. I do think they improved the k46 trannys from the ones of the mid 90s but they are just a lawn mower not a garden tractor not meant for hills and steep grades . Go to a garden tractor if you have those kind of conditions to cut it will cost you but you get what you pay for.

Sponsored