Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Mower 917-289223 drive belt won't stay on

Posted by jninepug Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 9:15

I bought this mower used. When I started using it this spring, I noticed that every time you let off the clutch, it about bucks you off. My son said it was normal but I've never had a mower buck so bad. Now, the motor drive belt came off. My neighbor bought a new one and put it on. Every time you push in on the clutch, the belt comes off again. Can anyone help? Don't have the money to take it to the shop. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Mower 917-289223 drive belt won't stay on

Is the belt routed as per Owners Manual?

o

What Bill posted and check all the idler pulleys and tensioner mechanism.

Also, is the replacement belt a real sears belt or aftermarket substitute?

o

Yes, you must use the proper belt. Also, the brake not releasing as quick as it should will make a rider launch like that. too tight or binding.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 22:27

FWIW, to me, that's a classic signal that the old belt has stretched and time for a new one. However, as pointed out above, is it OEM, as some of these things are not integral numbers, but have fractions added on. e.g. 80.5" rather than 80" If your new one is not OEM, that could be the answer. Also, as pointed out above, check linkages, routing, are idler pulleys free to spin, spring, binding, etc. Said another way, if you needed a 80.5" and your neighbor got an 81" or the generic cross reference took them there.....

Don't understand "bucks you off?" It is a manual trans and if the rpm's are up and you "pop" the clutch, it's going to jump. Again, as stated, check for free travel on the clutch/brake verifying smooth operation and spring movement.

I've attached a link to a Belt Cross Reference giving the length and width by part number. Using that, if you want to go aftermarket, you'll at least have the right size. Also, havinig the proper length, but wrong width can also lead to excitement.

Good Luck,

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Belt cross reference

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here