Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhtim

20HP Intek running rough on one cylinder

NHTim
10 years ago

Hey folks,
I have a 20HP B&S Intek (407777 0167 E1) that is running rough in one cylinder. If I remove the plug cap from one side it runs fine and the other it runs noticeably rough. Started suddenly the other day accompanied by a bit of black smoke and a slight smell of gas (hasn't done that since).

Compression in both cylinders is the same (~125 PSI) and both plugs are sparking if I pull them out. Runs better at lower throttle. Choke makes some difference but not a whole lot. Valves needed some adjustment but weren't terrible. Tried switching sides on the ignition modules/coils and the problem stayed on the same side. Plug on that side is noticeably wet and fouled in a short time.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

If that's the 2 barrel type carb, it has 2 carburetor Main Jets.
    Sounds like one might be clogged?

• NHTim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong (certainly no expert) but if one of the jets were clogged wouldn't I need more choke, not less throttle to improve the situation? Would the plug still come out wet? Again, I'm not an expert by any stretch so I may just need a little remedial education here.

One other tidbit I should have mentioned is that if I do run at full throttle I get periodic backfires. Not terrible but it seems like that cylinder may not be burning all its fuel. It also runs much colder than the one that's running well.

Thanks!

• rcbe
    10 years ago

might be worth investing in one of those inline spark testers that fit between the plug and plug wire so to see if one plug is breaking down under compression... tester isn't too costly - s/b avail at most briggs auth dealers.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

At slow speed you are using the idle circuit.
    Open up the throttle and you put more air to the cylinder, but minimal fuel if the MAIN jet is clogged/restricted.

• mownie
    10 years ago

***" if one of the jets were clogged wouldn't I need more choke, not less throttle"***
    Actually, closing the choke plate is very similar to closing the throttle plate as far as total volume of induction AIR is concerned.
    The difference between closing the choke and closing the throttle is that closing the throttle will decrease the amount of venturi vacuum applied to the carb bowl (that incites fuel to flow out of the fuel bowl through the jets) and into the intake plenum.
    Closing the choke (with throttle open) INCREASES the venturi vacuum applied to the carb bowl, causing more fuel to flow out of the bowl and into the intake plenum.
    You really do need a genuine spark tester to determine whether (or not) the spark is remaining viable at all RPM and under all combustion chamber conditions.
    Testing for spark by connecting a plug to the spark cable with the plug removed from the cylinder reveals very little about the the situation, mostly it will show only that some type of spark is happening RIGHT NOW.
    Because the parameters (conditions) inside the combustion chamber change significantly with changes of RPM and throttle position................the ability to "throw a spark" also changes significantly.
    It is well documented that a spark plug can make a healthy looking spark when checked OUTSIDE of the combustion chamber, but WILL NOT spark under combustion chamber conditions, or will spark at idle but begins to "cut out" as throttle is opened.
    That is why you need a bona fide spark tester so the sparking can be checked with the plug doing its job INSIDE the combustion chamber.
    And yes, looking at the IPL for your engine, it probably has the 2-bbl carb.
    And that underscores the likelihood of 1 jet being restricted while the other is still unrestricted.

• NHTim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks mownie and bill for the explanations. Very helpful. Will see if I can clean the carb out and have a look for a spark tester.

Sponsored