Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjsfishin

30' Weedeater Rider

rjsfishin
12 years ago

I took one home from HD. It fits my needs perfectly, mows beautiful,...steers a little hard, but reverse is hard to engage, and will not back over a 2x4 w/o getting a run at it. And the reviews don't lead me to believe it will get any better.

Any experience w/ this mower ? I don't have to keep it. But what other 30 - 36" mower is any better in the $1,000 range?

Comments (4)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

They look kinda go cart like. Good to hear they mow well. It would be good to know that the drive belt fully stops when shifting. Is there a way to lube the steering? Maybe it is a bit stiff and it will shift/ steer better as it gets broken in?

• rjsfishin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It doesn't shift,...its a For-Neu-Rev vari-speed, which BTW, works really well,....except Rev is hard to engage, and lacks power. And after talking to a cheif, it sounds like its designed w/ minimal reverse power, so is probably normal.
    The spindles do have grease fittings, but the tie rods run dry. I think the reason it steers hard is because of its hi ratio,... it steers very quick, and turns sharp.
    I like the mower for the most part and guess I will keep it..... because it fits my yard and mows really nicely.
    This mower....single 30" blade runs quiet, and even just above an idle, the mower runs fast, and that big long blade cuts those dandylions cleanly.

• rjsfishin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got on that new mower this morning again, and I hated it all over again ! I either had to fix it, or take it back.
    I mowed the whole yard, but wasn't happy w/ the mower,.....in short,.....Its just plain hard to operate. But I love the small deck,.....so what?, take it back......... then what ?
    This afternoon I washed it, and was wondering what to do. I pulled it into the shop and tore into it !
    I figured if I can get the clutch/brake pedal repositioned so a civilized man can operate it, I could maybe tolerate the hard shifting,......... especially into reverse.
    Not a problem ! An hour later I had R&R'd the pedal assy, fired up the torch, and bent the pedal down 60 degrees, and it fit me perfectly. I didn't think I was that good. Took it for a drive, it was a 100% improvement ! So then I thought......why stop there. I wondered how to modify the very stupidly designed shift handle w/o voiding warranty. Then I figured it out,.....build a whole new handle, save the original for warranty.
    No problem, a chunk of 1/2" pipe, a vice to flatten one end and drill the 2 holes in it, then a pipe bender,.......a few bends,.... and rebends,.....and a long story shortened, it is now a whole new mower.
    Here we go w/ a mower that that is terrible according to all reviews, (true) that w/ just a couple relatively simple mods, is now a whole new mower......in the ease of operation,
    it works beautiful,....I really don't believe it ! I'm happy,......and I don't do that easily.
    It still won't back over a 2x4, but I can live w/ that.

• rcbe
    12 years ago

friendly word of advice - lose the pressure washer/garden hose. Just use a rag and pail sparingly to clean exterior. Sprayed water will get into electrical connections/devices, then rust/corrode, providing a variety of functional probs later. Thia type of eqpt is not designed/built to withstand such.
    Suggest using compressed air or leaf blower to clean debris from tractor after each use..

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm