Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louky_gw

Could I get some help on hot start problem?

louky
10 years ago

This is an older Craftsman with a Kohler MV18S engine. I had trouble the last two times I mowed with restarting it after about a 2 hour mowing session. The first time I was able to let it sit long enough that it started up and finished the job. The second time was hotter outside and I wasn't able to get it started. This mower is located on a rural property about an hour from my shop and tools. I hope to be able to do some troubleshooting on site and hopefully won't have to bring it back to town.

1) Starts OK cold
2) has never died from being hot, only a restart issue
3) Often restarts when cooled off
4) Starter is spinning fine, battery up
5) Starting fluid will NOT make it fire

I'm leaning towards some ignition component breakdown, and will take a spark tester with me to see if I can verify no spark when it gets hot. Am I right in thinking it can't be a fuel problem if the starter fluid won't help it fire? Are there other likely scenarios besides the ignition module breaking down? Any other ideas to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

Comments (6)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

I think using your spark tester is the best approach.

Posting the Sears 917.xxxxxx number would allow one to look at a schematic (if available) for any other potential issues.
    The tractor may have an Operator Presence Relay that could possibly be losing contact or some other similar obscure problem. A schematic would allow one to see if you even have an OPR.

• mownie
    10 years ago

***"rural property, has never died from being hot, only a restart issue, restarts when cooled"***

Before going any further with this, pull the sheet metal shrouding and check for mice activity (nest building, food caches).

Mice activity is often the cause of overheating. The critters can destroy an engine if they pack enough material into the duct work.
    Even small amounts of material can block enough air flow to create problems.
    And yes, use a spark tester to confirm the loss of spark if you don't find any duct work blockage.

• louky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill: Thanks for the reply! You walked me through some OPR issues last year on a similar mower and I'm pretty sure it's not a safety switch issue.
    Mownie: Thanks! I had actually cleaned the mouse nests out a couple of weeks before on this mower but I guess they can rebuild pretty quickly LOL. I'll take a ratchet and sockets with me to pull the shroud to verify though.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Well, if I "walked me through some OPR issues last year on a similar mower"
    I wouldn't have done it without the 917#, which I requested for this mower.
    Your call-

• louky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're absolutely right! I did furnish you the number and you were very helpful, explaining how the switches worked for the safeties etc. I can't get to the 917 number on this mower until I get to the property. Thanks

• walt2002
    10 years ago

"Starting fluid will NOT make it fire"

"Am I right in thinking it can't be a fuel problem if the starter fluid won't help it fire?"

It could be that the carb float needle is not seating good, maybe has a speck of dirt under it and the engine is flooding when stopped. I would try shutting the gas off 10 seconds or so before stopping the engine and see if that helps.

Walt Conner

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio