Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chysm60

Briggs & Stratton 42A707 starting issues

chysm60
12 years ago

Hi all!, this is my first time posting on this site. I hope someone can help me.

Briggs & Stratton Model - 42A707, Type - 2238 E1, Code - 9707115B

I have just inheaited a starting problem for a couple of hundred bucks and I would like to repair it quickly. I have the same starting issues as a posting by "ladysasha" on 6-1-09. I have a new battery, starter, and good cables. The motor will turn over very slowly or not at all. It usually only spins until compression if created in one of the cylinders. I am going to try and adjust the valves and see where that takes me. Can anyone send me the valve specs, and a link to a exploded view of the engine. Hopefully this will take care of the starter issues, but I have another problem.

I can jump the starter from another battery (truck battery) and use the key and make the starter spin the engine over very well (two batteries, one starter). However, the engine acts like it is trying to start, (as if it were flooded out). then I release the choke and it will almost start, then nothing happens. Kind of acting like a car when it is out of time. It is getting gas, smoke from the exhaust, spark plugs warm up, heads warm up, but the engine just will not catch and start. Does briggs still use the aluminum ket in the flywheel, I new that this was a problem years age, but I am not into the newer engines like this one. I like the older ones from the 60's and 70's. The plugs are new B&S plugs, the engine is getting gas, the plugs are firing, the air cleaner is off. Maybe the throttle assembly is off adjustment or something. I do not have a manual to repair this engine and adjust the linkages to the carb or govenor. Can anyone direct me to a (free) repair manual site where I can get this information.

Thanks

Ken

989-326-0327

klm.inc@charter.net

Comments (2)