Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishky_gw

cc ltx 1042 vs. jd d110

Fishky
12 years ago

I'm going crazy trying to decide which one of these to get. My budget is 1600 and these are the two I have norrowed it down to after a lot of research. I just want some opinions from others who either have owned these models or have owned either brand. Thank in advance!

Budget 1600.00

Lot

2 acres

smooth to rough in areas(former farmland)

significant yard debris(sticks, leaves etc)

Uses

Mowing

Light duty hauling

Snow removal

JD D110

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/ProdCatProduct?pNbr=BG20541&tM=HO

CC LTX 1042

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_534206_33810_-1_600000_33810

The sticking point are the engines. I haven't had great luck with B&S but I've never owned a JD B&S only a craftsman. Opinions?

Comments (7)

• User
    12 years ago

Both your choices are lawn tractors and mowing "2 acres smooth to rough in areas(former farmland)" is a lot to ask from any entry level lawn tractor.

Add to that light duty hauling and snow removal and you may be setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

Either lawn tractor will definitely work but neither will work indefinitely meeting your needs.

I'd recommend you look around for a lightly used garden tractor like a Sears Craftsman DGS6500. Something rated as ground engaging.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

What lurker has to say certainly has its merits. That being said, lots of folks cut 2 acres with there LTs. It used to be an LT was meant for an acre, manufactures seem to take some liberties now that they didn't in the past. I'm not so sure about snow removal. A lot of that depends on your situation. Between the 2 - the Deere. The deck set up is more durable plus I have had a renewed concern of the single cylinder Courage engines. When they first came out, there were concerns with engine block cracking. Then I didn't see any. I've seen 4 cracked so far this year 2006/2007 models. And loose top cover bolts that seem to preceed this condition on even newer ones. I've not seen where they have addressed this issue- so for me, I'd leave it in the store. Take your time on the rough stuff, pick up debris- and treat it as right as you can.

• User
    12 years ago

Tom,

IMO there's a lot of difference between using a lawn tractor to cut a 2 acre lawn and using a lawn tractor to cut 2 acres smooth to rough in areas (former farmland). That's a lot to ask from an LT plus snow removal and light duty hauling and we all know what light duty really means.

• Fishky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I see what you guys are saying, I'm just not sure what to do about it. I can't go above 1800 at this time at all. I did happen to find a LTX1046 with a 20 horse KW, hydro, 46in cut, electric PTO on sale for 1799.00 That is the highest I can go right now.

I hear the Kawasaki engines are really tough.

• User
    12 years ago

I'd recommend you look around for a lightly used garden tractor like a Sears Craftsman DGS6500. Something rated as ground engaging.

• leeave96
    12 years ago

I've got an LTX 1042 and it is a FINE lawn tractor. It ain't a tank like my old Wheelhorse, but it cuts rings around it and doesn't jolt the body doing it. It is most comfortable to ride and I really like the two blade vs 3 blade set-up as it makes for a really nice cut.

I would think the 20 hp KW with 46 inch deck would be OK too.

BTW, when I bought mine, I looked at the box stores and found the dealer to have the same price. I went ahead and bought from the dealer so if I had a problem during the warranty period, there would be ZERO hassle as would be if I stiffed him and bought from the box store.

Originally I was going to get the LTX 1040, but that is a variable belt deal. The dealer pointed out the 1042 and full hydro drive and for a few more $$$'s, I felt it was worth it and it was.

I was in the same boat as you with a limited budget and the LTX 1042 fit the bill. If you like that tractor and the price is good, buy it.

Good luck,
    Bill

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Point taken Lurker. I think tho that some folks are just afraid to buy used. $500 spent onna more beastly tractor could be a good thing.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County